Get debt free on very low income?

Options
13»

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure I would want to pay someone to teach me if their highest qualification was grade 6.
  • crooky88
    Options
    you can definitely save money on your broadband and phone line, the fact that you have a phone line already means any line/broadband provider can take over that service from BT.

Typical line rental would be about £15 and broadband services start as low as £6, so i would definitely look at some comparison sites and look to swap providers.
  • FinanciallyUnsavvy
    Options
    ViolaLass wrote: »
    I'm not sure I would want to pay someone to teach me if their highest qualification was grade 6.

I don't know, grade 6 is fairly high up the scale. It's not like you need any formal teaching qualifications to be a music tutor. For children and beginners - I think it's a great idea.

Theoretically the teacher only ever needs to be one lesson ahead of the pupil.. ha! ;)
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2014 at 4:52PM
    Options
    I don't know, grade 6 is fairly high up the scale. It's not like you need any formal teaching qualifications to be a music tutor. For children and beginners - I think it's a great idea.

Theoretically the teacher only ever needs to be one lesson ahead of the pupil.. ha! ;)

I agree that you don't need formal qualifications and it's not that I would require them of my teacher but I would want a level of ability and understanding of the instrument above that which grade 6 would provide. I am a musician myself so I know whereof I speak. I certainly wouldn't expect to pay someone with no teaching experience and only grade 6 anything near £20 a lesson.

Your last sentence really isn't true, you know, not for a fully-rounded and satisfying teaching experience - I've had a teacher who was not much more than that far ahead of me and I found the teaching much less interesting and inspiring than I had other lessons.

You wouldn't want a school teacher to be only one lesson ahead, after all...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure