PV Monitors

Options
I've had a quote which includes Solaredge inverter, plus a real-time monitoring device. Is the device really necessary or is it just another expense/piece of unneccessary electronica?

I thought with Solaredge I could log-on to it with my computer? Or have I mixed that up with another system?

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've had a quote which includes Solaredge inverter, plus a real-time monitoring device. Is the device really necessary or is it just another expense/piece of unneccessary electronica?

I thought with Solaredge I could log-on to it with my computer? Or have I mixed that up with another system?

You're correct, you can see the SolarEdge info live, to see how the system (and each panel) is doing.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Options
    As Martyn says, you can log on to Solaredge for live monitoring of your system and each individual panel. It also shows a complete history of what the panels have produced each day.

However, it does involve logging on to see the web page. If you just want an indication on what the panels are generating, you can use one of the standard energy monitors with the sensor clipped over one of the cables feeding in to the consumer unit from the solar supply. I bought one of ebay for a tenner and it works fine as an indication of when to turn the washing machine or dishwasher on.
  • purple_hamster
    Options
    It sounds like an unecessary expense then. Thanks.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Options
    As Martyn says, you can log on to Solaredge for live monitoring of your system and each individual panel. It also shows a complete history of what the panels have produced each day.

However, it does involve logging on to see the web page. If you just want an indication on what the panels are generating, you can use one of the standard energy monitors with the sensor clipped over one of the cables feeding in to the consumer unit from the solar supply. I bought one of ebay for a tenner and it works fine as an indication of when to turn the washing machine or dishwasher on.

Not entirely true, press the button underneath the inverter and generation shows on the display. Press another twice and generation for day and month is shown.

Obviously not practical is the inverter is located in the loft or other out of the way place.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • purple_hamster
    Options
    Not entirely true, press the button underneath the inverter and generation shows on the display. Press another twice and generation for day and month is shown.

Obviously not practical is the inverter is located in the loft or other out of the way place.

Which bit isn't true? Can you log on to find out this info?
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Which bit isn't true? Can you log on to find out this info?
    Your post seems to (unintentionally) imply that logging on to the web page is the only way to see the data.

I think that is all Exiled Tyke meant.
  • Exiled_Tyke
    Exiled_Tyke Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 September 2016 at 10:13AM
    Options
    lstar337 wrote: »
    Your post seems to (unintentionally) imply that logging on to the web page is the only way to see the data.

I think that is all Exiled Tyke meant.

Yep that's it (although it was ASavyBuyer's post not Purple's which contained the small error). Sorry for not being clearer.
    Install 28th Nov 15, 3.3kW, (11x300LG), SolarEdge, SW. W Yorks.
    Install 2: Sept 19, 600W SSE
    Solax 6.3kWh battery
  • ASavvyBuyer
    Options
    Apologies; I missed stating that you could also press the button under the inverter to see the info. But as Exiled Tyke states, most inverters are not in a convenient location to easily do that. Ours is down in the garage, so we find it more convenient to use a cheap energy monitor to give us an indication of the power being produced, rather than needing to go in the garage or log on to see what is being produced.
  • purple_hamster
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep that's it (although it was ASavyBuyer's post not Purple's which contained the small error). Sorry for not being clearer.
    Thanks for clarifying.
    My apologies purple hamster, for the mistake in my post. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure