Lichen and moss on solar panels

Options
The installation has been in place for almost exactly 7 years now, and I've just spotted for the first time a build-up of lichen spots on several of the panels. Close inspection shows a fair bit of moss growth too, but this is primarily on the frames rather than the panels themselves.

I'm pretty sure this lichen has appeared over the course of this summer, and I'm surprised there's so little mention of it online. There are posts, but most of them are Australian.

There's little or no apparent effect on generation at the moment, but I doubt it will remain that way if the lichen isn't dealt with.

Any other long-term users finding this? Or the best way of dealing with it, given the obvious inaccessibility in most cases.

Comments

• TrickyDicky101
    Options
    Earlier this year (having noticed similar to what you described on my installation that had been in place since Oct 2011) I applied an anti-moss treatment (I have a converted loft so could hang out of it to apply the treatment from a pressure-sprayer). I can now see that the moss/algae has died (it ain't green anymore :)) but I can see there is still a deposit (of the ex-moss/algae) on the panels. I have not - as of yet - attempted any further cleaning. I also have not yet noticed any reduction in generation.
  • nobby1963
    Options
    Just for information I too had noticed some moss / lichen appearing around the bottom of the frames of our panels and beginning to become noticeable on the panel 'elements ' themselves.
    Down here in Devon we have very soft mains water anyway but I have been reluctant to clean the panels up to now.
    It dawned on me the other day though that we have a water butt pump that I use from time to time along with my pressure washer.
    As our panels are accessible I decided to wash them by connecting the butt pump to the pressure washer and on the lowest intensity I gave them a clean that way.
    They came up very easily to look as clean as new and the moss and lichen is no more.
    Having done this once I would probably do it again in another year or two.
    If anyone else is in the same situation and has a water butt & pump as well as the ability to get to their panels clearly this is an option I'd recommend now.
    Cheers
    Nobby.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks. From what you say, it seems to have come off quite easily?

My problem is the inaccessibility of the panels, but I was planning to use a pressure washer at a distance of a few feet. Hard water, but the rain will sort that out after a short while.
  • BargainGalore
    Options
    Try patio magic and a garden sprayer on jet spray. This stuff when diluted removes mould and lichen I use it on driveway and flat roofs.
  • gefnew
    gefnew Posts: 876 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi
    But may causse damage to the top hardened glass.
    always use harvested water as the chlorine and flouride will cause damage to the protective glass on top of the panels.
    regards
    gefnew
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    gefnew wrote: »
    Hi
    But may causse damage to the top hardened glass.
    always use harvested water as the chlorine and flouride will cause damage to the protective glass on top of the panels.
    regards
    gefnew

Unlikely I think. They're designed to cope with far worse than that.
  • nobby1963
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Thanks. From what you say, it seems to have come off quite easily?

My problem is the inaccessibility of the panels, but I was planning to use a pressure washer at a distance of a few feet. Hard water, but the rain will sort that out after a short while.

Yes I was surprised at how easily, I was very cautious as I did not want to damage the panels and had no experience of doing it. Both the frames and bottom elements of the panel surface cleaned up a treat.

Our house is built into a hill side and despite being two stories high at the front we leave at ground level at the back ( where the panels are located on the rooftop ) and therefore access to the panels isn't an issue for us.

Nobby.
    SMA 4000TL Inverter, 17 REC 235PE Panels, South facing, roof angle \ `ish, 3995 watt system.Installed Nov 2011.
  • SensibleBob
    Options
    Cleaning the panels really depends on which panels you have installed.

As a general rule of thumb, your panels should be cleaned once a year with ionised (pure) water with NO detergents. Why? Because if you don't, you're likely to invalidate those precious 25 year warranties on your panels.

Check the installation and maintenance manual of the solar panel manufacturer you've had installed and try and ensure that the water temperature you're using and the panel temperature are similar, otherwise you run the risk of cracking the panels due to thermal expansion/contraction. Two good ones to refer to are the REC Solar Quick Guide to Cleaning and the Renesola Installation & Maintenance Manual.

There's cleaning companies out there that "recommend" cleaning the panels up to 4 times per year...nah, con merchants. Once a year, use a reputable solar panel cleaning company (as they can sometimes spot other problems associated with panels) rather than a cleaning company that "dabbles" in cleaning solar panels.

Would you let a washing machine engineer service your German motor car? No, it's the same with panels, they're pieces of technology, not just a piece of glass.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure