Holiday Entitlement

Options
Was wondering what the position is with regard to holiday entitlement. My employer did not notify me of the changes to holiday entitlement (now 28 days) which came into force in October 2007 and April 2009. I have therefore only been taking 21 days (as per my contract). I understand that you can only back claim for two years but is this only in relation to holiday pay? My holiday pay has been correct for the holiday I have had. Any advice would be greatly appreicated. Thank you.

Comments

• Mrs_CP
    Mrs_CP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Have you been taking 21 days PLUS bank holidays, or just 21 days inclusive of bank holidays?
  • Mrs_CP
    Mrs_CP Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry - and how many days per week do you work?
  • Cruiser44
    Options
    Thank you for getting back to me. I've been taking the 21 days inclusive of bank holidays (contract is worded as 13 days plus bank holidays).
    I work 5 days a week.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Cruiser44 wrote: »
    Thank you for getting back to me. I've been taking the 21 days inclusive of bank holidays (contract is worded as 13 days plus bank holidays).
    I work 5 days a week.

Isn't the national minimum 20 days plus 8 bank holidays???

(You are in the UK aren't you?)
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Cruiser44
    Options
    Yes I am in the UK.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Isn't the national minimum 20 days plus 8 bank holidays???

(You are in the UK aren't you?)

I think the OP knows that currently the national minimum for someone working 5 days or more a week is 28 days (including any bank holidays which are taken).

Those days are the 5.6 weeks - the regulations refer to weeks rather than days.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Have you actually discussed this with the employer, and if so, what did they say? You see the problem is that your entitlement to take that holiday doesn't mean you must take it! So yoy day they didn't tell you. What if they say they did? Ten years, near enough, is a long time to not notice that the annual minimum holiday is 28 days. There had been lots of publicity about it. How did you now find out?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure