Halifax made mortgage repayment DD error

Options
Hi,

I will be grateful if some one can advise please.

We have mortgage with Halifax. About two months ago we requested to increase our monthly repayments from £1100 to £1200 per month but they took £12,000 (July) instead. We only realised when Halifax tried to collect another repayment of £12,000 in August. There was not enough money left in our account so Halifax sent us a letter saying that we have missed our repayment because there was not sufficient funds in our account.

Similar thing happened two years ago we requested over the phone to make our monthly overpayment £1100 per month. Halifax made it £11 per month.

I understand its just a human error but there are other issues which we are not happy about Halifax dealt with us and I want to make a complaint this time.

I have been on the phone numerous time, Halifax asked me to go and speak to Santander if the second payment is gone from my Santander account or not. I said why shall I go to Santander etc etc but anyway I never had my pin so had to request my Santander pin, pin arrived within few days.

Halifax has not put the money back in my Santander account and I have not received any written complaint letter in the post as they promised.

I would like to know what my DD rights are, for instance I allowed Halifax to take £1200 but they taken £12000 and still have my money.

Many thanks in advance
Tahir

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kukoo wrote: »
    I would like to know what my DD rights are, for instance I allowed Halifax to take £1200 but they taken £12000 and still have my money.

If you had £12k in your current account. Then Halifax are doing you a favour. By having the money sitting in your mortgage account.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    If you had £12k in your current account. Then Halifax are doing you a favour. By having the money sitting in your mortgage account.

Maybe the 12k wasn't the OP or was going to use it for a once in a lifetime holiday
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • kukoo
    kukoo Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you Worried Jim,

I went through the DD guarantee but I could not find what I was looking for. One thing I did found is that if an authority/bank take over payment in error they must refund the money within 24 hours but it doesn't say if the bank don't return the money within 24 hours than what.

I have written to Halifax today and see what they says.
    Thanks
    T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family