linky Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TBH I have no clue when it comes to pensions
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,427 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You said that you do not have an occupational pension scheme with your current (soon to be ex) employer so I don't see how they would become involved with your pension(s).

They have arranged a medical assessment for you but perhaps they had to do this in connection with the insurance policy you mentioned?
  • linky
    Options
    I didn't know the difference in the types of pension sorry, I always just paid what they told me to when transferring from one co the next! Sounds stupid now !!!55357;!!!56848;
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 March 2018 at 4:21PM
    Options
    linky wrote: »
    I didn't know the difference in the types of pension sorry, I always just paid what they told me to when transferring from one co the next! Sounds stupid now !!!55357;!!!56848;

Hi linky - just to be clear, these are your own personal pension schemes that you have contributed to over the years, and there is no occupational pension scheme provided by your employer?

If that is the case then, yes, you need to be sorting it out yourself, and you definitely need to find out from your pension providers: (1) can I retire on ill health and what will I get, and (2) does it make a difference if I voluntarily resign or get sacked on capability grounds?

And if you are only mid-fifties and resign, I suppose there may be questions about eligibility to benefits - presuming you are no longer able to work through ill health. But I'm no expert on benefits.

If you are in a union, I'd be contacting the regional office. No disrespect to local reps, but they often don't have expert knowledge. The regional office should have that knowledge.

EDIT: Sorry - you've been receiving half pay for four and a half years under your company policy? Is that your employer's policy or some kind of income protection policy you hold personally? Sorry if this sounds unpleasant, but I worked in the NHS and we would probably have sacked people after two years absence - unless there were extenuating circumstances. And they wouldn't be getting paid after a year. What sort of policy gives you five years sick pay?

2nd EDIT: Sorry linky - I sound unkind. It's not intended. Good luck!
  • linky
    Options
    Yeah, I had no clue about my pension, worked for Prudential, they were sold to Churchill, then RBS then DLG. During all the changes I just took the advice they gave me, I've been looking at all my stuff and it looks like I have 2 pensions, looks like Churchill and RBS arranged to keep the Pru pension running and then when DLG took over we got a new scheme?

The union rep I'm using is from a regional office, so think I'm ok with that.

I won't get benefits as my hubbie has a good job and I won't be able to work again so I think I'll let them dismiss me, the pension providers said it made no difference to them.

One of the benefits DLG offer is enrolment is a staff income protection insurance policy, we don't pay for it, run by UNUM. It's been great for me to get my income protected like this but I'd much rather be well and working!!! Worked there for 32 years!

Thanks all for your comments, booked an appointment with pension advisor and awaiting my retirement packs, wish me luck xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure