PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fermenting Foods

Options
It looks like this is going to be the very trendy next big thing. It's even being talked about on the Archers. But in fact it's old style... I remember my mum salting beans from the garden in pre freezer days.

Lakeland are selling some fermenting jars and I have started with a courgette kraut (I have more courgettes than cabbage in the allotment) and this afternoon I'm doing sliced rather than shredded courgettes in the hope they turn out a bit crunchy. I'm also making kefir (there's another thread on here about that)

My interest is both in the probiotic value and in using up excess produce in a different way. Is anyone else having a go?
Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200

Comments

• russetred
    russetred Posts: 1,334 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Mr Russetred has been making Kimchi. It absolutely pongs as it gets going but when it is finished it is a lovely accompaniment to a meal and apparently very good for gut flora and fauna.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • marygoodwife
    Options
    You have both intruiged me I'm going to investigate further!:)
    It's all staring us in the face...we just can't see it!!!
    :T:rotfl:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes its supposed to be good for you, but there's no way in tarnation it's entering my gut :eek:
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • choose_wisely
    Options
    Yes, started recently. Have made red sauerkraut from Michael Mosely clever guts book and kimchi and yogurt from on line recipes. I don't have any gut problems that I know of, but the science looks good.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I grew up on fermented foods and am used to kefir, sauerkraut and sourdough. I have a large fermenting pot and make my own sauerkraut from organic cabbages. Shop bought has been pasteurised, so is useless wrt bacteria. I see that I am now able to buy non pateurised from an organic supplier, so may well give up making my own

Be aware that there could be overgrowths internally and not all fermented foods are safe for everyone, also some people are allergic. There is a lot of hype about these foods and some people are jumping on the bandwagon, starting blogs and the like, with no real knowledge

btw, my sd starter is 14 years old, my last was 18 but I accidentally used it all and forgot to replace. Various probiotics are easily taken by buying capsules from the likes of optibac
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I would love to have a go but terrified of poisoning myself.
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I went to a permaculture show last year and they showed us how to make fermented cabbage and told us of the health benefits. I made some at home and it was very easy, however I hadn't ever actually tasted it before and it was horrible lol. My friend who likes that stuff said it was just right so I gave it to her :p
  • downshifted
    downshifted Posts: 1,153 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm glad there is some interest. My Kefir is great. We've just started trying small amounts of the shredded courgette. It seems very salty, but tastes alright in small doses. Not particularly a wonderful gastronomic experience though. I worry that the top layer is a slightly different colour. Apparently it's ok to transfer it to a different jar (or several) so I'm going to do that and make a carrot and ginger one from the Lakeland website.

Has anyone tried using whey instead of salt?
    Downshifted

September GC £251.21/£250 October £248.82/£250 January £159.53/£200
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Would love to try sauerkraut and kimchi - anyone got any good recipes?
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    my sd starter is 14 years old, my last was 18 but I accidentally used it all and forgot to replace.

When anyone starts talking silliness about there "20 year old" sourdough starter makes me think of this....

https://youtu.be/s1VNNbSYdt0
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport