TPS Text to Register your mobile for free

Options
sarah1972
sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
edited 9 June 2016 at 12:43PM in Freebies (no spend required)
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/news/tps-text-service/

TEXT : TPS followed by your email address to 85095

Mobile phone users can send a simple text message to opt out of unsolicited sales and marketing calls. The 'text-to-register' service enables mobile phone users to add their number to the UK's official ‘do not call’ database by texting ‘TPS’ and their email address to 85095
It is illegal for organisations to make unsolicited sales and marketing calls to numbers registered with the TPS, unless they have a person’s consent to do so.

Raising awareness of the TPS

According to Ofcom research, only half (48%) of people familiar with the TPS are aware that mobile numbers can be registered, compared to almost nine in 10 (88%) for landline phone numbers.

This helps explain why only 2.9 million mobile numbers (around 3%) are registered on the TPS database, compared with 18.5 million landline numbers (around 85%).

By introducing the quick and easy text-to-register process, the TPS and Ofcom aim to raise awareness of the preference service among mobile users and drive registrations.

How ‘text-to-register’ works

To register, mobile customers simply text ‘TPS’, followed by their email address to the shortcode 78070. They will receive a text reply from the TPS confirming their number has been successfully added to its database.

Registrants should notice a gradual reduction in unsolicited sales and marketing voice calls after a few days, although it can take up to 28 days for the service to become fully effective.

A study commissioned by Ofcom and the Information Commissioner’s Office found people registered with the TPS saw a reduction in the monthly volume of live sales or marketing calls received of around a third (31%). Registering with the TPS, however, does not prevent spam text messages.

John Mitchison, Head of the Telephone Preference Service, said: “Rogue callers operate illegally and against the interests of ordinary people.

“Texting will make it easier for people to register their mobile numbers on the TPS, which is the only official no-call list, and help us stamp out rogue callers once and for all by giving the Information Commissioner more ammunition to prosecute these cases.”

Lindsey Fussell, Ofcom Consumer Group Director, added: “Many millions of landline customers already take advantage of the protection the TPS gives against nuisance calls, and we want to ensure it’s as easy as possible for mobile users to do the same.

“We encourage anyone who wants to reduce the number of frustrating and unwanted calls to their mobile phone to register with the TPS today.”

Baroness Neville Rolfe, Minister responsible for data protection, said: “Nuisance calls are incredibly intrusive and can cause significant distress, particularly to elderly and vulnerable members of society.

“Government is committed to tackling this problem, and we have introduced a series of measures that have already seen record fines handed out to combat these rogue callers.

“This new service from the TPS and Ofcom will help protect people with mobile phones, making it easier for them to register via text and opt out of the call list."

Other ways to protect against nuisance calls

As well as registering with the TPS, people can tackle nuisance calls and messages in other ways.

Ofcom has the following five tips:

Be careful who you give your contact details to, whether it's online, on the phone, or in person.
Look carefully at any marketing ‘opt-in' and ‘opt-out' boxes. These boxes are often buried in the small print. If you don't pay attention to them, you could find yourself inadvertently agreeing to be contacted by companies you don't recognise.
If someone rings and asks for financial information over the phone, such as your account details or PIN number, don't provide it.
Talk to your phone provider to see what privacy services are available, and consider a call-blocker - though be aware, you may need to pay for these services.
If you receive a nuisance call or message, make a complaint. Complaint information helps regulators take action against companies acting unlawfully. If the call is a live telesales call, an automated marketing message, or a spam text message, complain to the Information Commissioner's Office. You can report spam texts to your mobile network operator by simply forwarding the text to 7726. If you receive a silent or abandoned call, complain to Ofcom.
Ofcom's guides for consumers provide more information.

You can still register online here http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/number_type.html
I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• lannyloo6377
    Options
    This is only for UK based companies - if they are outside of the UK they will still bombard you.

i registered my landline and mobile years ago - still get calls despite being registered.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why do they need an email address , if they are blocking phone calls ?
  • sarah1972
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Why do they need an email address , if they are blocking phone calls ?

The 'text to register' service, which has been launched by Ofcom and the TPS, allows mobile phone users to quickly add themselves to UK's 'do not call' database by texting 'TPS' and their email address to 78070 (your email address is required to verify you are who you say you are)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Stil dont see why providing an email address is necessary ( or provides proof of identity ) . They are trying to block nuisance phonecalls - not spam emails ?
  • sarah1972
    Options
    dlusman wrote: »
    Stil dont see why providing an email address is necessary ( or provides proof of identity ) . They are trying to block nuisance phonecalls - not spam emails ?

I agree to be honest. Not quite sure how it proves ID
  • Lill111
    Lill111 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    For me the number does not work at all it can not send
  • starving_artist
    Options
    I'm on 02 with unlimited texts and it brings up a message saying 'this will cause charges on your mobile account'
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It won't send for me either x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Quite honestly it seems a waste of time for landlines- still bombarded with rubbish calls after many years of being registered, can't see how it will be any more effective for mobiles!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    We are on the landline one, but still get calls. Worth a try tho
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business