PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All "volunteers" for the SHTF thread-precis have been messaged - but it's not too late to join in, if anyone else is tempted!

Noise & mayhem dwindling down here now; life will return to sleepy/normal tomorrow. Until next June...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I saw that it was 'the weekend' thriftwizard. I have fond memories. :D

PM received. Off to go look back at the early days of TSHTF. :D
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FTA regarding Theresa...

If she does hang in there, I doubt she will be able to get Parliament to agree any deal with the EU. (The EU are going to be even more awkward now by the sounds of it.)

However, we still leave on 29th March 2019, 'deal or no deal'.

Hard Brexit? Bring it on! I think it is far from hard. :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 10:10PM
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    FTA regarding Theresa...

If she does hang in there, I doubt she will be able to get Parliament to agree any deal with the EU. (The EU are going to be even more awkward now by the sounds of it.)

However, we still leave on 29th March 2019, 'deal or no deal'.

Hard Brexit? Bring it on! I think it is far from hard. :)

I must say I'm a bit torn as to which Prime Minister (past or present) would have me feeling most tempted to give them a piece of my mind if they were there in front of me right now. I think Tony Blair would have the edge still (16 February 2003 is firmly in my memory as when we learnt how our own PM could/would ignore us - despite being supposed to be OUR servant) - but it's feeling a bit of a close contest. Right now - I literally don't understand why Theresa May called this Election and I'm back to my very first thought when I heard that - of "How STUPID".
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks Money. My thoughts entirely.

I made my mum laugh today:

I said: 'What happens if May & Corbyn both turn up at Buckingham palace wanting to be prime minister? Does the Queen have to do eenie, meanie?' :)
    Options
    jk0 wrote: »
    Thanks Money. My thoughts entirely.

I made my mum laugh today:

I said: 'What happens if May & Corbyn both turn up at Buckingham palace wanting to be prime minister? Does the Queen have to do eenie, meanie?' :)

Now that could raise an interesting constitutional question - ie exercising powers that the monarchy now only has in theory (but not in practice) iyswim:cool:.

Just what would happen if members of a Western Royal Family tried to act as if the centuries had rolled back and they were "in charge" again as they used to be. Would people just laugh/point out the year on the calendar to them ("Hello - welcome to the 21st century") or what? Hmmm...:cool:

Mind you - I guess anything is possible - bearing in mind the number of sections of the human race bearing historical grudges for things that happened to their ancestors - rather than themselves personally. Something I find it very difficult to get my head round - as someone that looks to the future myself.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not convinced that Europe is as dead as some are saying (EU I mean). Macron and Merkel seem to be riding high - there is a school of thought saying that we are making such a b@ll$ up of it that we've put them off trying.:p

Also, could someone point me in a direction of how to find out the difference between a hard and a soft brexit? I am not sure i know what either entails...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 12 June 2017 at 8:06AM
    Options
    The past always shapes the future. Societal values are based on past experiences. Society is made up of people who have had past experiences, who have learned from those past experiences whether personally or via story telling.

Our very being on OS is about bringing the past into our progressive lives. There is always something to be gleaned from the past.

Holding grudges? I refute that because it's more about solidarity, about belonging and about pride in people who tried to overcome adversity. I'm a decent person in my community and I wouldn't be that without a sense of where I had come from.
    Options
    That one word "solidarity" might be the clue as to the source of historical grudges. Now why didnt that occur to me before? It's not a word anyone I know ever uses - but vaguely recalled from trade union days in the past.

Off to google the meaning/context of the word "solidarity" - first thing I came across so far was a reference to "striking factory workers in solidarity with university students"

That's maybe what it boils down to then? - ie how people see themselves/their lives personally. If you see your life as "upward progression/meant to be/could have been" you probably view it in a rather different way.

So - there's ones from 2,000 years ago, 400? years ago, 100? years ago currently in existence on the planet I can think of....

Though I know my own mother doesnt understand why I havent the slightest interest in history (having been on the receiving end of one that started in the 1930s). But I do watch new ideas/new inventions/etc with fascination (or sometimes horror - eg AI or GM).
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VJsmum As I understand it, a hard Brexit means we'd leave the Single Market and the Customs Union, and "freedom of movement" of people to and from the EU would end.

A soft Brexit would be similar to what Norway has; we'd stay in the single market etc but would still have to pay fees to the EU and would no longer have any say in what they decide to do, and freedom of movement would continue.

I read an article in which several Norwegians were interviewed and all said they felt they had the worst of both worlds and that if they were actually in the EU they would want to leave completely as many people want to do here. But of course, other Norwegians may think differently. It's a prickly problem, especially as the idea of a "hard border" between NI and the ROI is understandably very unpopular.

I just told DS what I'd typed. He says you can dip your soldiers into one but not into the other :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure