Tax gripe

Options
The_Deep
The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
edited 12 January 2018 at 7:58PM in Cutting tax
Not a moneysaver but a valid grump imo.

I attach copies of a recent exchange of emails to HMRC and their reply

For the last two days have attempted to complete my SAR on line. I have logged in at least a dozen times and on each occasion the access code sent to my mobile phone has been rejected, you website has also crashed three times..

I have made five telephone calls but no-one has been able to sort the poblem out. Yesterday at about 11 a.m. I was promised a call back within two hours, but no call was received. I tried to send a complain via the Government Gartway, but again the access code was rejected

I am sure that service of this nature is far below than that to which you aspire, and, unless you are able to rectify the problem within the next 10 days I propose the following, either I complete paper returns for me and my wife, (UTR 40640 40943 or I pay the same amount of tax as I did for TY 2015 -2016. If you agree to paper returns I shall require two copies of the returns with rental income and foreign income pages

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You’re using a part of the website that is still in the BETA trial programme, we can’t help you with any issues or problems you’re having.

The ‘beta’ label means you’re looking at a trial version of a new service or web page.

For more help you’ll need to use the link on the screen ‘Get help with this page’ which is available on the bottom of every page of the new service.

This will raise the issue with the team who are supporting this new service and one of our advisors will contact you by email shortly.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
You never know how far you can go until you go too far.

Comments

• Gabbs_the_Newt
    Options
    This is unfortunately where we are. There are other posters on this board who pathologically hate HMRC. I’m a bit more pragmatic, we have chronically underfunded a vital area of our civil service, with predictable results. Either way, the level of ‘service’ provided is shocking.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not a good idea to post your UTR on a public forum.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Not a good idea to post your UTR on a public forum.

It's his wife's UTR I think, perhaps he's hoping somebody will hack the account and pay her tax for her :beer:.
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    This is standard stuff at this time of the year. I have sympathy with anyone who has to work for such a rubbish organisation. But the HMRC answer to this is to make things MUCH worse under Making Tax Digital. This will involve at least 6 times the volume of data, in more complex formats. Given that the current system is falling over every January, the HMRC plan seems to be to make the database fall over every single month.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Totally agree with you
    chrismac1 wrote: »
    This is standard stuff at this time of the year. I have sympathy with anyone who has to work for such a rubbish organisation. But the HMRC answer to this is to make things MUCH worse under Making Tax Digital. This will involve at least 6 times the volume of data, in more complex formats. Given that the current system is falling over every January, the HMRC plan seems to be to make the database fall over every single month.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure