Why don't men do core exercises?

Options

Comments

• parking_question_chap
    Options
    Lukoind wrote: »
    Probably, because most men get lower back pain, while doing core exercises.

And this is based on?
  • Lukoind
    Lukoind Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    And this is based on?
    My own experience. From office work, sitting all day. You get anterior pelvic tilt, which puts pressure on your lower back. From my personal experience I'm like 60% way fixing this condition by myself, by just doing excersises like barbell glute bridges and etc. Hope it helps for you!
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Women love things like sit ups as they wrongly believe it affects belly fat, men believe if they do sit ups etc they turn into women. Just how it is in gyms, most females use the cardio/watch tv but never pick a heavy barbell up, which is what most need to do, and most men avoid yoga/flexibility etc which would help them (obviously *some* women do lift, and *some* men do yoga etc)

I would love to see you in a bikini, keep at it!
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lukoind wrote: »
    My own experience. From office work, sitting all day. You get anterior pelvic tilt, which puts pressure on your lower back. From my personal experience I'm like 60% way fixing this condition by myself, by just doing excersises like barbell glute bridges and etc. Hope it helps for you!

I sit in an office all day every day and I do not have an anterior pelvic tilt, nor do I suffer lower back pain when doing core exercises .As a matter of fact, core exercises are high on my list, as I need to be fit and use a lot of core muscles when riding my (motor)bike on track.

So just because you suffer from back pain and pelvic tilt it does not mean "most men" do. Your experience does not reflect everyone else and neither does mine. So you should refrain from using your own individual experience to provide a blanket statement of "most men".
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 June 2017 at 10:50AM
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite.

I am male, 56yo, 5ft8in and 10stone, so average height and weight. I don't wear a bikini. In a week I do these classes: 30min pure core, 90min yoga, 2x60min pilates, 45min spin, 60min bodypump (weights) and 60min bodybalance ("power" yoga-ish). All except for one emphasise core work. It is rare for any other male to attend most of these. Any that does will have had this recommended by their doctor. They will usually drop out between two and six weeks, never to be seen again.

I started all this early last year after giving up work, as an antidote to RSI and postural issues from 40+ years of desk work. Having a lot of time to devote to it obviously makes it far more accessible. Before I started I hadn't even heard of, or considered, that keeping 'core muscles' in good shape was crucial. The typical gym stereotype for me was either lifting weights or cross-trainers. No particular core focus there.

I would say I am now in the best shape of my life, barring perhaps a golden era in my mid teens when I did a decent amount of swimming training. Good flexibility and decent strength. I still take stairs two at a time, move heavy loads effortlessly, and don't get winded digging the garden or cutting the grass. I wasn't obese or even particularly out of shape before I started all this, but nevertheless I really don't want to go back to my 'before', as I feel so much better in general. 20min on a cross-trainer feels like 5hr to me. In contrast, 60min in a studio class feels like 20min, even though I have to work harder in it.

So why don't more men do this? Malthusian's flippant comment is probably more on the mark than you might think. Women have intrinsically more flexibility, so will find yoga and pilates easier than men in general. Men have larger upper-body strength though, so plank and push-ups present less of a problem. Marketing also plays a part. Look at any promotional picture of a gym studio exercise class and you'll see a clutch of attractive women at the front, and maybe one or at most two men at the far back of the picture just to prove it's really not just for women. Also, yoga and pilates just don't look as "hard" as pumping iron.

I did classes at work before I left, and there the ratio was about 60-70% in favour of women, so much more balanced than at my local gym. This could be a demographic thing -- my workmates were mostly in their 20s and 30s, and at the daytime in my gym my co-attendees are more likely in their 50s and perhaps 60s (because it's daytime and we don't work any more).

As for the intimidation factor of being the only man in a group of 20+ women. I've learned to ignore it, and at times even celebrate it. Perhaps the women just think of me now as some sort of 'testosterone mascot'. Don't care. It's doing me a lot of good, so I'll stick with it. Fred246, do the same -- if it works for you and you enjoy it, keep going. Maybe you'll provide other men with the courage to join you. (I haven't, so far!)
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    I cannot repeat my thoughts on being alone with ten ladies in lycra as BoPsie would be sure down to the solicitor in seconds!
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    Because core classes aren't for everyone. I personally would rather work on my core my own way and pace.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • EdSwippet
    Options
    HBFS wrote: »
    Because core classes aren't for everyone. I personally would rather work on my core my own way and pace.
    Why would any preference for group or individual core exercise not be gender-neutral?
  • HBFS
    HBFS Posts: 1,285 Forumite
    Options
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    Why would any preference for group or individual core exercise not be gender-neutral?

The question was asked about men. I answered as a man. That was the entire thing.
    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
  • EdSwippet
    Options
    HBFS wrote: »
    The question was asked about men. I answered as a man. That was the entire thing.
    Unfortunately, your personal viewpoint does not really answer the question. One data point cannot be extrapolated into a complete statistical set.

The question remains, then -- why are men not well represented in core classes? Thanks to your response we know why one individual man doesn't attend, but not much about the remaining 3bn or so :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure