Advice re: DCA Letter

Options
Hi there,

New to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place or turns into a big waffle but I'm making myself ill worrying about it and was hoping for some advice.

I'll try and keep a long story as short as possible...

I moved house mid Jan this year. With one thing and another it took a few weeks to get all of our change of addresses done, and one of the few I couldn't do online or by phone was Barclays Bank. I don't use them as my main bank anymore, but have held an account since I was a child which I used during university and had quite a big overdraft on. I had been paying small amounts off this overdraft so that I could eventually close the account, but it was still £900 when we moved. I filled out a postal change of address form they have, and sent it off. I received a letter back to my new address, thanking me for the update, but saying I needed to go into branch as the signature they held on file for me needed updating. This was end of Feb. Again, I work long hours and didn't get around to this for a while, but had assumed they had acknowledged the change of address.

Went into branch mid March, to be told I didn't have an account with Barclays anymore, and that they had closed it due to 'tracing issues'. Turns out they had sent a couple of things to my old address that got returned, and they hadn't acknowledged my change of address form because I hadn't been in to update my signature.

Staff in branch at that point said the account was still with their in house collections team, and should be easily sorted. They agreed to call me back within the following few days to confirm the next steps.

Got a call a few days later saying actually it had already gone to a DCA (the previous week apparently) and that I needed to contact them. Gave me the details for BCW, but no reference number or anything more than their phone number.

I wrote a complaint to Barclays asking that they allow me to just clear the overdraft directly with them, and also wrote to BCW (whom I had not heard from at all at this point) saying the same. They quickly wrote back saying the account would be put on hold whilst they investigated.

In June, both wrote to me saying my complaint would not be upheld as 'I had failed to provide enough details about the situation to allow them to investigate'. Not sure how as I had explained the situation fully and sent copies of my change of address form, the letter of acknowledgment etc. I again wrote back to both saying I would be putting in a complaint via the FOS as I didn't feel they had dealt with it well. I also put in my letter to Barclays that I was still willing to pay them back directly, but they have ignored all correspondence from me.

The FOS acknowledged my complaint but said it could be several months before they have an answer, so to be honest I have just waited - kind of surprised that I had heard no more from BCW, and not sure who I could even make any payment to at this point. It has plagued my thoughts on a daily basis, and aside from this, I did have a good credit file with everything up to date etc. so it's really worrying me.

Anyway, fast forward to now, and this weekend I get a letter from a different DCA - Moorcroft, addressed to me, but with no indication at all of what it's in relation to - just says they believe I live at this address, and need to contact me regarding a personal matter.

I have been feeling sick to my stomach all weekend and unsure what to do now...

Could it be that BCW have passed it on? Surely moorcroft would have put in their letter who they were acting on behalf of if so?

Do I write to Moorcroft and ask for more detail and see what they come back with?

Who can I actually make any payment to? I can't pay it all in one go, but could probably do it in three or four payments. I fully accept I had the overdraft and just want it gone and sorted, but I also don't want to give money to some random company that might not even be the right one. Ideally, Barclays would let me pay them back directly, but they won't respond anymore, and would that even be correct? Have they now sold the debt on or are these DCA's just acting on their behalf? The default placed on my credit file, which I'm also really upset about, is from Barclays, and there is no search or info placed on there by anyone else.

Just terrified that someone is going to come knocking at my door all because of a stupid change of address.

Apologies for the long winded account, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,
    First of all, stop panicking, debts are sold on all the time, what you have received is called a "fishing letter" the DCA obviously does not have enough details about you, so are asking for information.
    You can ignore this, only respond if you get a letter addressed to you, detailing the debt they are chasing, until then, don't worry about it.
    A debt collector has no power whatsoever, so even if they did knock on your door (unlikely) you can just tell them to jog on, only a court appointed bailiff can enter your home, and only under certain circumstances.

If you want to respond to them, send them this letter :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • doodle83
    Options
    Thanks for the reply, although hard not to worry. Have never had so much as a late payment so it's quite daunting.

So who can I make any offer of payment to? I want to get this sorted but if the bank won't respond and I have no idea which dca is the right one, not sure where that leaves me.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    doodle83 wrote: »
    So who can I make any offer of payment to? I want to get this sorted but if the bank won't respond and I have no idea which dca is the right one, not sure where that leaves me.

Well, you can send the provit letter, and they then have to provide you with proof of the debt, if its yours, and you acknowledge that, then you can make them an offer of payment, most DCA `s allow you to do this online, or you could write to them, don't ever phone them, as they can "persuade" you to pay more than you can afford, and you have no record of what has been said, wear as there is a paper trail with written correspondence.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure