The Simple Bare Necessities feat. Gratitude & Recipes

Options

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed not! Mr Ts has the quinoa flour listed on sale at 1.25 regularly 1.50!!!

The posh Flour's own website does have some lovely recipes on it!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

We've been having a swell(tering!) time :D Lucky enough to spend Father's Day together as a family. Mucho fun and laughter was had :D And egg sangers, no-sausage rolls and HM cake........ :D

I'm delighted to report that I took baby steps towards achieving my challenge targets again today. It was toooooooooooo hot to be outside, so we stayed in the relative coolness (I did say relative......... :o) of the house, and Baby Greying decided that snoozing was really a good way of beating the heat :) I was able to work around them, pottering with mini-tasks that had either been sitting and niggling for yonks or which will contribute to helping us achieve the BIG stuff on the challenge list :D Every little helps us along :D

I was sad to learn of Brian Cant's death. As others have said, he was one of the sounds of my childhood. 'Pugh, Pugh, Barney Mcgrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb' :D:D:D:D:D:D

Tea this evening was a made-up pasta dish - at least I think it is made up - that I have been cogitating on for a while. I bought some straight (rather than elbow) macaroni from MrM last week, with the intention of making it into a pasta dish. And I don't know why, but I wanted to add mini mozarella, black olives and green beans to it. So I did :D I also used the italian dressing recipe to dress it all, with some garlic thrown it. I wish I had microplaned the garlic in, it was a bit harsh :( But overall it kinda worked, and sort of looked like the picture I had of it in my head. Picture of DH's plate;

017_zpstqwacmz4.jpg

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

refuge from the heat

reminders of childhood

re-awakening my mojo ;) - hope I can keep it going :D

Ta for popping by and reading. Appreciated.

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £3,005/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (May) -  £0/£15  (Camping TTD - £75/90)

Grocery spend May £144.39/215
    Non-food household spend May £24.01/30
    Bulk Fund May 0/£15

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 20 June 2017 at 8:49AM
    Options
    Good Morning :hello:

Another warm start here today :D We shall be getting outdoor chores started early to avoid lobster syndrome :o

Tea this evening will be another 'room temperature' soup. I'm going to make Anissa Helou's version of Makhluta, which is a bean and grain soup. A similar recipe (but not Anissa's) can be found HERE. There is not enough spicing in that version for me - Anissa uses Lebanese 7 spice, which I've just made up a batch of.

Right, must crack on.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,551 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Small giggle for you...

Tried to click on your first link & work computer said it was a forbidden site! Hovered to discover it was called 'frugalvillage' - obviously work thinks being frugal is a no-no!?!;):rotfl:
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Naughty work RT! :rotfl:

My Brian Cant memory is "How high can a fly fly when a fly flies ever so high!" from a saturday afternoon thing he did I think - PlayAway maybe? And of course "Through the.....round window!" definitely a voice of my childhood though - and losing him and John Noakes so close together feels like a double blow.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Options
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Small giggle for you...

Tried to click on your first link & work computer said it was a forbidden site! Hovered to discover it was called 'frugalvillage' - obviously work thinks being frugal is a no-no!?!;):rotfl:

rtandon - I can only imagine that your 'corporate' computer is saving you from yourself and encouraging you to remain in the consumer mainstream! :rotfl: I've just had a little canter around the Frugal Village site - looks quite good actually, and there are sub-sections for 'Frugal Canadians' and 'Frugal Europeans' (assume the site is US) - obviously subversive activity, swapping jam recipes and knitting patterns!! :D

But EH - it was never through the round window :D Always the boring square window or the slightly more architecturally interesting arch window! :D Surprised someone didn't write a PhD on the times each of the windows were picked, or not :D

Ach, I think BG has got overly hot or bothered today or something, they have been a niggle bottom all morning - although they were impeccably behaved when we were out - for which I'm grateful. They are having a snooze now, hopefully they will relax and unwind and wake up refreshed.

I picked up the TV guide, some bananas, a cucumber and some cherry toms, up the high street. I was niggled to find that one of the salad tommies that I got in Aldee on Sunday was going mouldy. I cut the top off and used it in my sandwich for lunch. I know that they were only 49p for 6, but still. It's definitely going to be squeaky-bum with the food budget this month. Clearly I cannot bulk buy bags of rice out of the month's budget, without it having an adverse effect on cash-flow later in the month. It does irritate me though, as the food I have bought has been predominantly 'good' stuff, you know; fruit, veg, nuts, pulses, yoghurt etc. I think the only 'luxury' stuff I have bought has been some halloumi and I've bought some (frozen) cod to try a new recipe. Not exactly 'eating like kings' nor' dining on junk' are we? Oh, thinking about it, I bought into the mrL cheese offer too, so there is another £8 that was spent on food that will last longer than just this month (now that I'm back in charge of cheese rationing :rotfl:)

Right, I best make hay whilst BG naps.

Ta for popping in and chatting. Appreciated.

Greying X

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,523 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It always irritates me a lot that it is actually in a lot of cases cheaper to buy junk & that there is always a lot of junk on offer.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    edited 21 June 2017 at 9:09PM
    Options
    Good Evening :hello:

:wave: to beanie :D

Well, I've had to do a cash adjustment and 'repay' my current month's food budget the money that I paid out for the rice and cheese. It's still going to be squeaky, squeaky as it is, just buying the basics. Ah well. Suppose it would be boring if it t'were easy........... :rotfl:

I have also put in a bit of a 'float' for the 'bulk buys'. The money has come from my savings account, but I need to cut myself a bit of slack. Hopefully when it is up and running, it'll all even out and there will be money in the 'bulk purchases' pot each time they need to be made/opportunities present themselves.

I popped into the market 'all just to use the loo :o But couldn't resist going past the 'outrageously priced greengrocery stall'. Lemons there are now 25% more expensive than m&$ :eek: I bought some lemons from HB - 5 for a pand.

My shopping in HB came to just shy of £10 - it was just for nick-nacky bits - no real 'food' as such; herbs, coffee, lemons, risotto rice, coconut milk etc :eek:

Tea last night was as described in my post of the morning. It was OK - you have to like pulses to like it I think..... And whilst it was room temperature, it probably was a bit too heavy for the weather...... Picture here;

012_zpsdfdujd2c.jpg

Tea this evening was a bit of a bodge. I knew I wanted to use rice, and then I figured I'd use the remaining pieces of smoked aubergine bake out of the freezer and throw together some salad. I boiled up some brown rice. Defrosted the bake. Luckily DH managed to snag the last bag of wild rocket in mrL for 45p (PotW), and I knew I had tomatoes and cucumber to do something with. I did my tried and trusted oil and balsamic dressing for the tomatoes, and just let them sit, but I knew I didn't want to do a 'creamy' cucumber side. Orf onto the 'puter I went and came across a recipe that sounded fresh and different, so I had a bash at The Best Cucumber Salad - yeh, like eva*......... :rotfl:I made a yoghurt/mayo dressing with diced,roasted red pepper and smoked paprika to 'drizzle' (or should that be drip :think:) over the bake and rocket leaves. Threw it all on a plate and it looked a bit like this;

018_zpsqu6aoynf.jpg

The cucumber salad is a keeper for me. I didn't have any dill, so I crushed a little bit of fennel seed up and mixed it with parsley - apparently dill is a member of the parsley family - to add to the sliced cucumber. I didn't have salad onion, but did remember to microplane the garlic tonight - made the world of difference :cool: The salt draws out the cucumber 'water' and it really makes a nice salad.

Today i am grateful for these 3 things;

wonderful kindness and thoughfulness from a stranger

for seizing the initiative, rather than waiting for others to act - helped us take a tiny step forward with our priorities too :D

for a relaxed conversation with my husband at the tea-table - a real treat for us both, even if an hour did evaporate into the ether.......

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in. Appreciated.

Greying X

* releasing my inner teenager - soz! :D:cool:

Bulk Fund May 0/£15

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ha! I have JUST mentioned on my own diary about the Lil's POTW mini cucumbers this week - and you post that recipe link. Mmmm....might need to track down some dill, and if I'm going to get dill, there will be more than I need for the salad so that means fish one day early next week! :T

*runs off to add spring onions & dill to the shopping list*
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Delurking to say: when I make a German version of this, I use dried dill and it works fine (and keeps for ever :D).

I soak the sliced cucumber (peeled or not) in cider/ wine vinegar, a tsp of salt and a tsp of sugar plus a good sprinkling of dill for at least half an hour. Give it a good mix around every so often. When ready to serve drain the vinegar. It can be served plain or with sour cream/ yoghurt stirred through. We call it Nina's cucumber salad after the friend whose recipe it is.
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport