Loan Guarantor - Debt Relief Order

Options
A friend of my co-signed a guarantor loan from Amigo Loans for a work colleague and believed he was able to back out at any point - the loan was for £10,000 over five years with approximately £18,000 repayable over the period. The loan's nine months old, and the colleague is now three payments behind. My friend had to move from full time work to limited hours in a kitchen due to health issues and isn't in the financial position to make repayments on the colleague's behalf.

What my friend was wanting to know is if he's able to apply for a Debt Relief Order or an IVA based on his current financial circumstances - with his income and outgoings he has approximately £20 per month disposable income, and he's only marginally earning more than he would on Universal Credits. He's unsure what his options are with there being two liable parties.

Thanks again for any help!

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:34PM
    Options
    A friend of my co-signed a guarantor loan from Amigo Loans for a work colleague and believed he was able to back out at any point - the loan was for £10,000 over five years with approximately £18,000 repayable over the period.

If your friend did actually read the information provided to him by Amigo I have no idea* why he thought he could back out at any time. What would be the point of a guarantor loan if the guarantor can just walk away at any point?

*Actually the guarantor can "walk away" under these circumstances:

"You can change your mind about being a guarantor any time before the money is paid out by calling us on 01202 629 200 (Mon-Thurs: 9am-7pm, Fri: 9am-6pm, Sat: 9am-1pm).

If you change your mind before you pay any money to the borrower, you can pay us the full loan amount back, plus any interest accrued, to close the account. Once you have given the money to the borrower, if you wanted to stop being guarantor, you would have to repay the loan in full with any accrued interest, or wait until the loan is settled by the borrower.
    The loan's nine months old, and the colleague is now three payments behind. My friend had to move from full time work to limited hours in a kitchen due to health issues and isn't in the financial position to make repayments on the colleague's behalf."

https://www.amigoloans.co.uk/question/how-do-i-stop-being-a-guarantor
    What my friend was wanting to know is if he's able to apply for a Debt Relief Order or an IVA based on his current financial circumstances - with his income and outgoings he has approximately £20 per month disposable income, and he's only marginally earning more than he would on Universal Credits. He's unsure what his options are with there being two liable parties.

Thanks again for any help!

That's a good question. What happens to the guarantor's liability for an Amigo loan if the guarantor becomes insolvent**? Amigo's website covers the borrower becoming insolvent but not the guarantor. Your friend might want to check that with Amigo or one of the debt charities (CAP UK, National Debtline or Step Change).

Unless he owns property then an IVA won't be a suitable option for him it would be a DRO or bankruptcy. Again this is something one of the debt charities can advise him about.

Edit:

**I found this online regarding bankruptcy and guarantor loans:

What about if the guarantor goes bankrupt?

"Turning to the other side of the coin, let’s consider what would happen if your guarantor runs into financial trouble during the loan’s term (assuming you’re keeping up with the repayments at this time). If this happens and they become bankrupt, their liability to repay the debt will come to an end and you’ll be expected to keep making payments as usual."

"http://www.bankruptcyclinic.co.uk/blog/bankruptcy-and-guarantor-loans/
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your friend signed up to be equally liable with the borrower for the full amount for the life of the loan, that means the lender can come to either of them for the full amount. It would make no sense for a guarantor to be able to "back out at any time" - if this was possible then everyone would do it and the lender would have no protection.

Apologies but I can't help with dro/iva.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • MachoShirts
    Options
    Yeah, my biggest annoyance is that I didn't find out until after the money had been handed over so I didn't get a chance to tell him how it actually works. My friend's a little too trusting and way too naive for his own good.

I'll get him to contact the charities, so thanks for that. He's due to meet with Citizen's Advice this Friday so they should also be able to give him some advice.

Many thanks!
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Where is the colleague with the £10,000 ? why is he not paying it back.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Stu5788
    Options
    I find Amigo one of the ‘better’ guarantor loan companies going, tell him to phone them & explain the situation.

Getting a guarantor proves very difficult these days. I have a loan with Amigo for £1000, trying to top up to £1500 & can’t get a guarantor for it.

I hope your friend gets it sorted, Shame on the borrower for leaving him in the lurch like that.
  • tonycottee
    tonycottee Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A friend of my co-signed a guarantor loan from Amigo Loans for a work colleague and believed he was able to back out at any point - the loan was for £10,000 over five years with approximately £18,000 repayable over the period.

I would ask your friend to check that the figure is correct. That sounds awfully cheap for an Amigo loan. Their interest is usually 49.9%, so the total to pay back is almost £24k.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    tonycottee wrote: »
    I would ask your friend to check that the figure is correct. That sounds awfully cheap for an Amigo loan. Their interest is usually 49.9%, so the total to pay back is almost £24k.

agree
    £10,000 loan @ 49.4%APR over 60 months would be £455.34 per month
    £17,320 interest meaning £27,320 due back in total
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Stu5788 wrote: »
    I find Amigo one of the ‘better’ guarantor loan companies going, tell him to phone them & explain the situation.

Getting a guarantor proves very difficult these days. I have a loan with Amigo for £1000, trying to top up to £1500 & can’t get a guarantor for it.

I hope your friend gets it sorted, Shame on the borrower for leaving him in the lurch like that.

ONly my opinion of course but I'm actually pleased that it is getting harder to persuade someone to be a guarantor any more as that means people are waking up and actually understanding what they are committing to.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Stu5788
    Options
    Some folk wouldn’t mind doing it & others just aren’t in the position to do it.

I only need my top up as I’m currently off for a 6 week holiday from work - go back to work on January 29th. Before I finished up I made a payment to the current loan that covers payments until I’m back & getting a regular wage again so the danger of me skipping payments is slim to well nil. Tried contacting work agencies to keep me ticking over while I’m off but none will entertain me for a fortnight of work.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suppose the question you must ask yourself is what happens if both the borrower and the guarantor go Bankrupt.

Bankruptcy wipes the slate clean as far as CCJ`s, or liability as a guarantor goes, so the loser would be Amigo.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure