PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Zero Waste Week - tell us your best upcycling and re-use tips

Options

Comments

• GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) On the rare occasions I have a cuppa at a cafe, I will discreetly take the sugar sachet which they have placed on my saucer or tray. I figure that they have budgetted for it in the price of the cuppa, so it is mine. As I don't take sugar, it goes into the cupboard to be used for visitors who do.

We always took condiments from home when on caravanning or other self-catering holidays, as well as a few staples like tea and coffee. It can really help balance the budget.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have stopped sending off for free samples of things. I love getting things in the post but figured I am adding to my bin contents by bringing more non recyclables into my home.
    Arilx
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    ZeroWasteWeek Posts: 67 Organisation Representative
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

:o Once upon a time, I was walking thru the city centre in the afternoon when I came across a firm of shop-fitters replacing the plastic fascia thingummy of one of the chain stores. The new bits came swathed in bubble-wrap and the bubble was wrapped in lovely strong brown paper. There was a large pile of this already, with some more sections left to be unwrapped. Yards and yards of the stuff.

Well, what could a packaging womble with an end-user like kid bruv do but fasten on her brass neck and ask if she could have the stuff? The workmen couldn't have been nicer and I waddled off with a double-armful of both kinds of stuff and the advice that if I came back in about an hour I could have the rest.

Which I did. It was a scream rolling/ folding that lot up into manageable portions in my flat, but I did it and transported it across the county on the coach when I next visited him.

:D You crack me up. I hope your allotment project is coming along well and you've sorted the teabag conundrum ;)
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    It made me smile when we dropped kids off at a party recently, and DD18 was helping set up drinks and she asked very loudly 'so where should we set up the recycling box for empty bottles?!':rotfl:

Oh that is such a proud parent moment - thanks for sharing! :T
    I am the official organisation representative of ZeroWasteWeek. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    Lilyplonk wrote: »
    'Some News' on the composting front - my DS2 has just acquired an allotment and he's anxious to start his own compost heap - so I'll be letting him take my Food Waste in future :D.

Woohoo! Result ;)
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    Nocturnes wrote: »
    For now I am going to try them in the battle against slugs though I fear that the Special Slug Forces deployed around here are not going to deterred by mere eggshells. Will report back.

Here's a really embarrassing video I made years ago that might help you - it really does work in the battle of the slugs! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCwLOh4pnec
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    Katiehound wrote: »
    In the past we used to be able to buy useful bits and pieces for a song from the council tip. Sadly not anymore- it is actually illegal to remove anything from the site, so even if I had the courage to ask someone if I could have an item they are about to dump it's a no no.

This really grieves me; it feels criminal somehow - I too have seen wonderful things at our recycling centre. It looks like some of our stuff is pulled out for a 'reuse centre' but I'm not sure of the legality of it - mind you we're a forward lot around here with a 'rules are made to be broken attitude' :D

Love the doggy duvets idea, what a heart warming story :)

Lov
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    MSE_Andrea wrote: »
    I have a question of my own.

A comment on the Makedoandmendyear blog mentioned the trays you get when you buy fish from supermarkets.

We eat quite a lot of fresh fish at home and I'd like to be able to do something with the trays rather than recycle them but they can be a bit stinky. Does anyone have any ideas for them? Perhaps in the garden but without attracting all the local cats?!

Are they flat or deep? I'm wondering how you could get them clean enough too, so I'd be looking at using them for growing things with shallow roots in like cress? If they don't stink you could use them under houseplants as drip trays or would they work for DIY projects? As a paint tray or something? I know they need to be landfilled eventually, but at least you're getting more use from them.

Failing that - here's a zerowaste week challenge for you! Go to a local fishmonger with your own reusable containers and ask them to put your fish straight into them to avoid the packaging - go on, I dare you :eek:
  • ZeroWasteWeek
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    I even have a small lock'n'lock box with the free pepper and salt things my grandchildren get from MaccyDs.I take it with me when we go on our annual holidays and it saves having to buy condiments at our holiday house.

That's a fantastic idea - I made DD bring me home the coffee samples from her hotel for me - I'm not a coffee drinker so keep the samples for guests and making tiramissu ;)
  • Winter_Phoenix
    Options
    skeeter93 wrote: »
    I haven't had much luck with freecycle. Nobody wants my junk :( I put it down to my area, but I think my junk is just too junky.

My DD lives in a different Freecycle area. If she advertises something which has no takers, I bring it home and put it on my local Freecycle. And vice-versa if I get no takers for an item. It usually works.

Another thing worth trying is to leave it a few weeks, and then advertise the item again. Sometimes Freecyclers read their e-mails late and think, "that will have gone by now." Re-advertising lets them know that it's still available.

Apologies if you have already tried both those suggestions!
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family