PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I just do not want to speculate what the A&E notes would have read had I been wearing a skirt...

I sort of know the answer to that. Years ago my youngest aunty fell off a horse as it jumped a fence. She rolled on her back as she fell and the horse stood on her. An ambulance was called and she was taken to hospital. One of the nurses on duty was her elder sister who was heard to remark "We see all sorts of people in here with all sorts of things 'Up There', but you're the first one in that's had a horse's hoof there". Ahhh, sibling love :rotfl:
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I`m still doing a stitch in time, algae spraying. Makes a big difference and very quickly, I ran out of liquid to dilute but more will arrive tomorrow. It makes a big difference to slip prevention btw, the hidden algae on decking and the obvious algae on the likes of slate. A good time to get it done, I did a bit more this morning, very quick with sprayer. I still need to do some more wood, a slate patio area and the water butts. Again am prepping to make the house look nice but I would do it anyway :D for safety for starters
  • juliettet
    Options
    Hi Kittie,

Please tell me what you use. I have a path that never gets the sun and usually just deck scrub with soapy water.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    juliettet wrote: »
    Hi Kittie,

Please tell me what you use. I have a path that never gets the sun and usually just deck scrub with soapy water.

amazon,prokleen simply spray and walk away. Bought 2 x 5 litres. Dilute with 4 x as much water and use a pump sprayer. I used to use biological washing powder in hot water, last house and was never as effective
  • juliettet
    Options
    Many thanks for that Kittie. I also noticed the fence had a slight green tinge and I can use that before treating.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Quick thought - "It must be eco if Kittie is using it"

- but.....one of the questions on Amazon says in the answer "Not safe for pond life" and I've not been able to find out what the ingredients of it are. So I expect they are things I wouldnt use - and the container looks plastic...

Looks like I've still "got my eye out" to see if there's anything I could use on my grotty cracked concrete tiles (to be replaced at some point with decent ones - eg sandstone). I suspect I'm going to have to leave them to continue looking dirty/being slippy....

I know I was horrified to find that a painter that did the outside of my (blinkin' rendered concrete blocks) house and used spray-cleaning had some mild hydrochloric acid in the solution he was using (despite the fact he could see my organically-grown food plants nearby in my garden). Well my plants were there - until I realised and ripped them all out and wasted them --grrr...and decided he wasnt going to get his mitts on doing that to my house ever again.
  • tori.k
    tori.k Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options

- but.....one of the questions on Amazon says in the answer "Not safe for pond life" and I've not been able to find out what the ingredients of it are. So I expect they are things I wouldnt use - and the container looks plastic...

Looks like I've still "got my eye out" to see if there's anything I could use on my grotty cracked concrete tiles (to be replaced at some point with decent ones - eg sandstone). I suspect I'm going to have to leave them to continue looking dirty/being slippy....

I know I was horrified to find that a painter that did the outside of my (blinkin' rendered concrete blocks) house and used spray-cleaning had some mild hydrochloric acid in the solution he was using (despite the fact he could see my organically-grown food plants nearby in my garden). Well my plants were there - until I realised and ripped them all out and wasted them --grrr...and decided he wasnt going to get his mitts on doing that to my house ever again.

White vinegar will kill off algae just mix it one part to two with water and spray on a dry day and leave ,basically its what algon is, it will take a couple of week to completely clear but won't harm pets or wildlife.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

why do you say that? I am not eco, except where it applies to what I ingest ie organic or to my purse ie insulation. The liquid I got does the job brilliantly and I wear a mask to make sure none of it sprays into my lungs
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    tori.k wrote: »
    White vinegar will kill off algae just mix it one part to two with water and spray on a dry day and leave ,basically its what algon is, it will take a couple of week to completely clear but won't harm pets or wildlife.

White vinegar sounds more like it for me.

I know I'm doing the major eco stuff - not having more than two children/given up flying/dont have a car/etc - but I like to keep the mini things as "eco" as possible too.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    "Eat what you store ... " ah yes, that will be why the chestnut flour in the plastic crate has gone mouldy :o I bought it straight from the mill, but between all the stuff thats been going on, I just kept on not using it :( lesson hopefully learned.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport