PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Saturday 7 October 2017

Options

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello :hello:. Hope everyone is having a good day
    I had a good sleep last night but still woke up feeling tired and achy. I feel as if there is a cold lurking on the horizon but I refuse to succumb, I do, I do :(. Hopefully it is just a blip, fingers crossed.
    Anyway I have tidied and cleaned the kitchen, wiped down the worktops and filled the DW. This afternoon I shall park myself on the sofa and watch a few recorded films/ Tv. As most of the housework has already been done, I shall not feel guilty, doing nothing :rotfl:.
    I went round to see elderly neighbour yesterday and took her some strawberries, because she was upset again. She was crying but lucid, however when I complimented her on her pretty jumper she went down hill and said it wasn't hers, neither was the house, etc. It was as if someone had switched her channel IYSWIM. The conversation got worse after that and I was glad to be rescued by the carer, as I was afraid to leave her alone. It made me upset to see her like that too :sad:.
    Tea tonight will be hot dogs as I found some rolls and sausages in the freezer, followed by strawberries and cream.
    Right off to get another medicinal coffee ( and maybe a chocolate roll :D ) so sending healing vibes and hugs all round.
    LaineyT if it were me I wouldn't go or have any contact. Who needs 'friends' like that.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello all, I have spent quite a lot of the morning sneezing but seem to have stopped. I can't afford the time to be ill.

Lainey, I think you have made a good decision, I suspect that if you did tell these not very good friends what you thought, they would all be very sanctimonious about ther so called reasons for not contacting you. I've lost contact with a couple of 'friends' and afterwards realised that they had stopped contacting me as I was no longer useful to them. Once I realised, I chose not to make contact and never heard from them again. To me, that's not friendship, that's taking the micky.

Those of you who are now retired, at what age did you retire? If you don't mind the question, that is. Do ignore if too nosy.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not retired..... wish I could. I'm nearly 58!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    It's wet and gloomy again here. My grass needs cutting but it's rained at least every other day for the last 8 weeks so the garden hasn't dried out enough for me to do it (clay underneath). It's going to come to the point soon where I have to cut it any way. Today is a housework day. The House Troll (aged 12) is going to help me to bring the hoover downstairs as after falling a couple of weeks ago when carrying the washing basket down I'm a bit scared of doing the same again. As my leg has been so bad I haven't done much in the way of cleaning lately so today is the day (my leg isn't much better but I feel better which helps :) ).
    Cranky if you're going to attempt stuff, please take it steady and don't risk your poorly leg. What I do is to try and think each job through before I start, identify the bits that could get a bit "hairy" and see if I can work out a better way to do them (my left knee regularly gives way with zero warning when standing in the kitchen). I'm sure the HT will assist if asked. ;)
    LaineyT wrote: »
    Thanks for all your kind comments and suggestions, part of me wants to meet up and vocalise my feelings but another part can't be bothered with all the drama and thinks it best to just not go. Spend the money on meeting up with my real friends :D
    Personally, I'd call these acquaintances "water under the bridge" and keep moving onwards and upwards. But I have a method of making a decision that works - toss a coin. Literally. You don't have to actually do what the coin says, but you'll know what your heart really wanted by whether you're pleased or disappointed with the result of the coin toss.

I hope that made sense - I've had virtually zero sleep again and am running on fumes today! :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Those of you who are now retired, at what age did you retire? If you don't mind the question, that is. Do ignore if too nosy.

I 'retired' aged 61. Went back to part time teaching aged 62. A six month break from long distance travelling, toxic working colleagues (not all) and the start of my superannuation did me the world of good. Sitting around for longer would have been deadly.

Mind you I resigned from work, moved from Newcastle back to Scotland, renovated a seriously dilapidated cottage and sorted out my priorities in that time. Having a pension and a salary was a liberation. Only having a pension was not so good! My small hours of work now gives me back my liberty.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My quiet day has been really lovely. The rain sort of dried up though it's still grey and windy.

I took my rubbish to the 'civic amenity' and did a little shopping for soup ingredients. My wine hasn't arrived yet, the driver was taking wine to Glen Coe so I suppose he's coming to me on the way back. The five litres of white vinegar has arrived, I couldn't find a local ethnic shop anywhere near here so good old A*azon turned up trumps again.

After reading a newspaper article I've ordered some different moisturise to try and an Australian cream for a friend who is suffering from sore skin on her fingers and hands. Just trying to see if anything other than steroid creams can help her.

The woodburner has just been lit so I'll cosy down soon with my book and a cup of tea.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I retired at 63, when my health started to break down several UTI's in a row made me see the light.

I was working in my own business, so just packed in and that was that!! I was lucky that I had 3 pensions coming in, it would not have been so easy otherwise.

We have had a bit of rain, did not last all that long, enough not to have to water the new grass till Monday.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options

AOD I retired at 60, as soon as I could draw my state pension. That was in the good old days before they moved the pension goalposts! I didn't have time to be bored as DD kept having babies that we ended up looking after so that she could go back to work part-time. She knew which was the easiest option I have to say!!

I have now downed tools for the day, although I am sure I could find some jobs if I felt so inclined! I was pleased with my Sparks offer stock up this morning, including my free loaf. Even the young chap on the till was impressed with my haul! Back home to make lunch, do a small pile of ironing and make a bargain pan of celery & stilton soup using Aldi Super 6 celery and a chunk of ys stilton spotted for £1. Just whizzed it and waiting for it to cool to pot up for the freezer.

Plonked down on the sofa ready to watch a few things on catch-up to find Mr TA commandeering the tv, flicking around all the sport channels. Grr! No matter I shall get my feet up and read instead.

Looking forward to tonight's Strictly, popcorn at the ready for Movie Week. I haven't narrowed down my favourite just yet but leaning towards Gemma as she is the "local" girl and I like her sense of humour!

Have a nice evening folks if you can xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    52 here so not retired and never will there is no golden handshake here sadly
    Must be lovely to be not working and have that guaranteed money every month....my mum always said I should work for the government somehow I think she was right :)
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    53, not retired although we have been put in the "lucky" position by DH's late lovely parents where we now do not need me to work full-time, all the time, hence the part-time contract earlier this year and the new temp contract until Dec/Jan. The current plan is to keep doing contracts when I want until I find my ideal of p/t PA or office manager type work.

I am allegedly supposed to be able to retire at 66/67 when my state pension kicks in (if they don't move it again and there is still a scheme in 14 years or so :cool:) and have a small old works pension and a small private pension that both start at 60 with small-ish local government pension at 65, but have a mortgage until I am 69, so can't see retirement happening before then unless my Premium Bonds finally come up after 53 years!
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills