IFA Fees for Pension Advice

Options
Hi
My pension is currently with National Mutual and is giving me a fairly average return. My IFA has proposed a new pension provider which he thinks will give me a better growth of 7-8% per year, which is great. This will cost me around 1.24 % per year whch is paid to the pension company and the also gets payment from, He says though that there is also a one off fee paid to his company of 5%. This is 5% of my total Pension Pot (and comes out off my Pension pot ). Currently this would amount to a one off payment of almost £8000. I looked abit shocked and he offered to drop it down to 4%. Even so this sound a little excessive to me.

Is this excessive ?

any advice is greatly received,

Many thanks

Neil

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yes, it's excessive. And he has no idea what the annual growth rate will be.

What is he proposing to invest your new pension in, and how is it so different from the National Mutual pension?
  • APhil
    APhil Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    He says that the new pension is more managed - on a monthly basis as opposed to the generally managed pension that I have already,

His growth is an estimate I guess ?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This will cost me around 1.24 % per year whch is paid to the pension company and the also gets payment from

That is in the ballpark of expectation assuming, as you say, it covers all charges (adviser/fund/platform/provider) and includes ongoing servicing. if it excluded ongoing servicing, then it would be around 0.5% ish
    He says though that there is also a one off fee paid to his company of 5%. This is 5% of my total Pension Pot (and comes out off my Pension pot ). Currently this would amount to a one off payment of almost £8000.

Now that is extremely high. No-one should be paying as much as that for a pension switch. Typically no more than £2000.

Investment returns are unknown. There can be valid reasons for moving old pensions into modern ones but they really need to be more solid than "better returns". Technically, a potentially better return can be used if you were in an investment fund that was consistently poor performing (such as a zombie with profits fund) and there were no other funds available on the existing pension and you are moving it onto a modern alternative with better potential. However, I don't know if the phrasing about getting better growth of 7-8% a year is yours or exactly what the adviser said but using wording like that is not good as nobody knows what the future is going to be.

He says that the new pension is more managed - on a monthly basis as opposed to the generally managed pension that I have already,

That is the language of BS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,173 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    APhil wrote: »

His growth is an estimate I guess ?

This sounds nonsense. You dont need to manage a £160K portfolio on a monthy basis. If he is talking about the funds themselves any management would be done continuously. What investments do you have in National Mutual and what is being proposed? Was the IFA involved in the NM pension or has he come on the scene subsequently?

I have never heard of National Mutual. Google tells me that it was taken over by GE Capital in 2001 and closed to new business. It has been a dormant company since then. NM seems to have been absorbed by Windsor Life who were involved in many complaints a few years ago. After then I cant find anything.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't like the idea of paying an IFA for ongoing advice or any actively managed pension product with fees as high as you mention. Your IFA seems to be saying some pretty silly things......If anyone dangled an 8% carrot in front of me, I'd walk away.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to find an IFA that's not trying to rip you off, which this one is.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    This sounds nonsense. You dont need to manage a £160K portfolio on a monthy basis. If he is talking about the funds themselves any management would be done continuously. What investments do you have in National Mutual and what is being proposed? Was the IFA involved in the NM pension or has he come on the scene subsequently?

I have never heard of National Mutual. Google tells me that it was taken over by GE Capital in 2001 and closed to new business. It has been a dormant company since then. NM seems to have been absorbed by Windsor Life who were involved in many complaints a few years ago. After then I cant find anything.

If OP's 'pot' was held by Windsor Life then it will now be held by ReAssure. If it is also within a With Profits policy then these are Dunstonh's "zombie" funds.
  • APhil
    Options
    Hi, big thanks for all your replies, it's all really helpful. My current Pension is actually with Old Mutual ( I was close)The new company describe themselves as a boutique Firm, a discretionary Fund manager, Neil
  • APhil
    Options
    My current Pension is actually with Old Mutual ( I was close)The new company describe themselves as a boutique Firm, a discretionary Fund manager, Neil
  • maximumgardener
    Options
    don't get sucked in !!

Old Mutual are a very reputable outfit.....so thats a plus.

you should visit another couple IFA's and get some different "inputs" based on what you want to achieve
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure