PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing stollen

Options
Hi,

I have been given 6 boxes of shop bought stolen and would like to freeze most of them to use at Christmas (otherwise we will just eat them now for the sake of it).

However, it says 'not suitable for freezing' on the box. I have in the past frozen other things that say on the packaging that they are not suitable for freezing and they have been fine. Sometimes the texture has changed a bit, but other than that they have been ok. I did wonder if it was because of the marzipan in it.

Has anyone frozen shop bought stollen before, and it so was it ok?

Thanks

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You shouldn't accept food that has been stolen. :)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I'm not sure if I've frozen it or not, but I freeze most types of cake and can't imaging why it wouldn't be freezable.

The marzipan might go a bit crumbly I suppose.

Still taste nice warmed through with custard though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Home made freezes fine, I don't see that frozen would be all that different, worth trying
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would just try one, freeze one now. Then defrost it tomorrow night and see how it is on Thursday.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    I would just try one, freeze one now. Then defrost it tomorrow night and see how it is on Thursday.

You could try freezing a couple of slices as an experiment. I'd be interested to know how that works because when we have one we eat far too much so taking a couple of slices out at a time would be a much better idea.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd have no hesitation going by previous experience with cakes and pastries (it's the fat content that fares well). In fact, you have inspired me to do the same should I come across any RTC after the season.

Don't expect the texture to be 100% the same though.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    You could try freezing a couple of slices as an experiment. I'd be interested to know how that works because when we have one we eat far too much so taking a couple of slices out at a time would be a much better idea.

I'm going to freeze a couple of slices this morning and get them out tomorrow evening so will let you know how they are after freezing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure