Help please

Options
Hi,

Child Maintenance have been in contact with me in relation to a Secretary of State debt totalling£3,300. They have contacted my employers to try and deduct £480 per month directly from my wages, which I cannot afford.

To stop this (and general work embarassment) I have verbally agreed to pay the amount directly. I have a further £1,000 available on my Credit Card. So it looks as though in two months time I will have to go into further debt to pay the remaining £2,300. I have a loan with my bank paying £310 per month, which will be paid off next September. My current CC debt is £4,500. No one in my family can help.

If I do not pay the initial £480 today the Earnings order will automatically kick in.

Any advice would be greatly accepted, my stress levels are through the roof.
Thanks

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you tried making them an offer of what you can afford? Remember they'll not be interested in other debts you may have as this is a priority debt. If you offer £1000 then £300 per month it'll be cleared within 8 months.
  • comalley2015
    Options
    I can only really afford maybe £100-£150 per month. Not sure if they will be flexible with this amount
  • iluvfreebies
    Options
    the key is to make contact - doing nothing will only result in the deo being imposed

essentially you are in a good position as the arrears are owing to the sos - there isn't the welfare of the child and no calls from the other parent chasing arrears collections for the case officer to consider.

if you make a reasonable repayment offer and a lump sum upfront always helps and can show that you cannot afford to make the higher payments - i.e have a list of all your outgoing this will most probably be accepted.

just be upfront and honest and only agree to something you can actually afford because if you miss even one payment of an agreement the deo will be put on for the max amount.
    Comp Wins 2011 : Cant wait to start listing everything:j:j:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport