Can my employer do this?

Options

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    A0503 wrote: »
    Hi Shortcrust - thank you - I should of explained in my first post I have been carrying out the extra duties and working at the higher grade for the last two years - its just been a hard time with lots of changes and our department did not have a figurehead in place until Christmas last year, hence why promotions are only just taking place now.
    What you were doing for the last two years is legally irrelevant. You did it voluntarily, because there was no offer of any additional pay or promotion on the table. And you are also quite correct though, in that there are laws in place to protect you whilst on maternity leave. So, provided that you can prove that the only reason for the deferment is due to your maternity leave, you are certainly allowed to quote laws at them or take them to a tribunal. But do enjoy your promotion because it will probably be the last one that you get.

In principle, I agree with you. And I think that since you have been doing the work for so long then the gesture on their part is warranted. But this is the real world, and I am not sure that accusing your employer of discrimination at this point in time is the best way to plan your career.
  • A0503
    A0503 Posts: 90 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 3:29PM
    Options
    deleted as resolved.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks Sangie. I appreciate what you're saying, I had to work at that level to meet the demands of the role and because I had quarterly reviews and objectives to achieve and the objectives set were that of a higher grade.
    I was often told 'it will be soon' 'bear with us' etc with regards to a promotion, so I kept up the work thinking it was around the corner. Looking back however I regret doing that. I had actually started to look elsewhere but then fell pregnant and I didn't feel right starting a new role somewhere else knowing I'd be going off a few months later.

I don't really want to accuse anyone of anything, I do enjoy my role and I have good working relationships here. I was asked some questions In my promotion meeting that a non-pregnant person would not have been asked though. I have my meeting with HR today and hope to get some further clarification from them on where I stand.

That, in itself, is not unlawful. It is certainly unwise from their point of view as it could be evidence that helps to support an unlawful discrimination claim. However, can you prove that is what they intended or indeed that the questions were actually asked? Most likely they will deny it or say that you misunderstood what they meant.

I think Sangie makes some excellent "real world" points. I would take some professional advice and be very sure of the strength of your case before doing anything.

Once you chuck a pebble in the pond you can't stop the ripples spreading out!
  • A0503
    edited 11 July 2017 at 4:01PM
    Options
    deleted as now resolved
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    OP - to delete posts after people have given you advice is a little rude.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its a lot rude, to be honest
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - to delete posts after people have given you advice is a little rude.

Quite but Google is a wonderful thing......
    Hello,

Wondering if anyone with HR knowledge can help me out.

I had a recent promotion review at work which was successful. I am pregnant and was told that the effects of the promotion (pay rise, new job title, new package etc) would start from when I return to work after my maternity leave. Our company's annual pay review is coming up so I said would it not kick in from then, and the response was that they weren't sure but it would definitely be from when I return next year.

Can my employer defer the payrise/new package until I return? Should it not commence immediately or at least after the next pay review? I know another colleague has been promoted and I can't imagine they will defer theirs until next year.

I should add some of the questions I was asked in the review were relating to my ability to cope when I return which I also didn't think they were allowed to do.

If anyone has any useful info or links online to anything I can read up on about this it would be much appreciated. Its a unique situation where they haven't withheld the opportunity of promotion but are withholding the reward of it.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »

It's inconsiderate - what about all the people reading the forum who might have a similar problem? Without the original post there (plus the others the OP has deleted) the thread no longer makes sense.
  • A0503
    Options
    thanks thread police. I deleted it because its my choice too - it was fairly outing and I'd rather it not be seen by someone who could identify and link it back to me in real life.

For those saying its rude - I have repeatedly thanked those who gave advice and individually thanked their posts.

well done on those detective skills undervalued :money: to be honest it was my further updates that I felt were more outing so my repeating my OP isn't a huge deal.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    thanks thread police. I deleted it because its my choice too - it was fairly outing and I'd rather it not be seen by someone who could identify and link it back to me in real life.

For those saying its rude - I have repeatedly thanked those who gave advice and individually thanked their posts.

well done on those detective skills undervalued :money: to be honest it was my further updates that I felt were more outing so my repeating my OP isn't a huge deal.

Obviously ignoring the fact that most of your replies had already been quoted.

A note for the future - if you're not prepared to stand in the middle of the high street & shout it out, don't post it on the internet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure