Morgage offer has come through - but when to exchange?

Options
Hi all,

FTB looking for some advice. Along with my wife, we're in the process of buying our first place. So far, everything has gone pretty well. The survey came back with a few unexpected things, but nothing that can't be fixed and we're following up on some of the larger ones with the vendor.

We've just got our mortgage offer through - they did the valuation yesterday so don't seem to have any problems with the property! - but I'm now wondering when we should exchange. Our vendor did have a place they were set to buy, and wanted to complete very quickly, but that purchase fell through as their vendor decided they didn't want to move!

My instinct is that we definitely shouldn't exchange until the chain is complete, which also gives us a bit more time to get quotes and such for the work that the survey showed up, as well as being able to save a bit more! But I wanted to check that that makes sense.

Thanks!

Comments

• Lu_equi
    Lu_equi Posts: 31 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2017 at 1:04PM
    Options
    Hi
    I am no expect however I thought that usually everyone exchanges on the same day, but in order going up the chain therefore if your vendor is buying somewhere then that sale gets added onto the chain and would need to be at the Exchange stage before you could exchange, the house your vendor buys might also be in a chain and they all get added on ?

I have been waiting 8 months to get to the exchange stage lol :)

Some pro's will be along soon to tell you if you can or cant ! I will be interested to know this too!
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can only exchange when you and your sellers are both ready. So if they haven't got anywhere to go they won't agree to exchange and so you won't.

The chain can be "broken", i.e. they go into rented.

If they haven't even found a property yet you could be months away from exchange. (example is if your vendors find a property, but then their's need to then find a property and so on)
  • SamVines
    Options
    Thanks both - that's really helpful!

So we just sit tight and wait. I guess the only problem would be if they take longer than 90 days and so we need to explain to our mortgage provider that there's a delay and try to make sure they don't retract their offer.
  • Lilla_D
    Lilla_D Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you can exchange contracts and agree a completion date any time, if your seller is willing to move to rented or to family in case they don't have an onward purchase completing at the same time.

If you don't exchange and complete by the time your mortgage offer expires, then you (your broker or your solicitor) can ask for the offer to be extended. It only buys you a few months extra time. If there is still no completion in sight, you might have to re-apply from scratch or (dependent on the lender) submit additional paperwork (e.g. proof of income, bank statements) to the lender and they may also want to do a new valuation. If your situation doesn't change and the lender still has a rate option for your scenario (e.g. they don't withdraw their 90% LTV range just when you'd need it or whatever your scenario is), then in theory you'll get a new offer, but obviously it's a risk.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are paying your solicitor to handle these matters. Not only does your solicitor represent you but also the lender. Until the i's are dotted and the t's crossed. There won't even be talk of exchange.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    SamVines wrote: »
    I'm now wondering when we should exchange
    You will exchange contracts when all the legal paperwork stacks up and you have a completion date on which all parties in the chain agree.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure