I have filed for Bankruptcy today, Please could you advise on this question....

Options
I filed for bankruptcy today after my sole trader business failed and I was unable to pay my business/personal debts.

My partner has a new job and also receive tax credits/child benefit for our children.

I do not receive any income at present.

When I filled out the form, I put all of this under income under household expenses as they go into my partners account and then I did expenses as a whole.

This left a surplus of £150 which is due to my partners earnings. (benefits do not cover my "share" of household bills)

So my question is, will my partner be required to pay this surplus as a monthly payment to my creditors?

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    krissys wrote: »
    So my question is, will my partner be required to pay this surplus as a monthly payment to my creditors?

No. An IPA can only be made against a surplus from your own income.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • krissys
    krissys Posts: 38 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you so much for confirming this. I have a supportive partner who would do anything to help but was oping I wouldn't have to ask him to do this.
  • TimeToRebuild
    Options
    As Fermi has stated, an IPA can only be made against you, as you have no income yours will be straight forward in regards to your expenses.

Good luck :)
  • mummyofboys1985
    Options
    I was made bankrupt in July.

My partner works and I do not. I didn’t include his income whatsoever. Just what money I got and any bills I pay.

OR fine with that and I’ve just done my 6 month review and again, just my income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure