Court summons - am confused

Options
So I have recieved a court summons today for missing council tax from Rushcliffe Borough Council

This is the first time I have recieved one and the reason I do have it is because we were not paid from work for a few months due to them having troubles and I told the council this. Anyway the letter confuses me because obviously I dont want to go to this summons. If I pay the amount owed asap, will I still have to go? The letter doesn't really tell me this

Comments

• Oddjob
    Oddjob Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had one once when I was poorly, I had been in hospital and not earning. I paid it and the costs and it was ok, I was told I didn't need to go to court and no action was taken.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JayD83 wrote: »
    So I have recieved a court summons today for missing council tax from Rushcliffe Borough Council

This is the first time I have recieved one and the reason I do have it is because we were not paid from work for a few months due to them having troubles and I told the council this. Anyway the letter confuses me because obviously I dont want to go to this summons. If I pay the amount owed asap, will I still have to go? The letter doesn't really tell me this

When I used to deal with summonses they had to contain an amount owed, if a part payment was accepted then the summons was no longer valid because the amount was incorrect.
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    The fact your employer 'had troubles' is an irrelevance to the council. It has no powers of mitigation, so you would have triggered the ending of the ability to pay by instalments and a call for the full amount.

Whether they accept a part payment is up to them. The Summons remains vald if the amount changes, as they can simply advise the court there has been a part-payment and the revised amount fee, plus court costs is then rubber stamped.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure