Comparing fund trading platforms based on functionality

Hello moneysavers,
Via my IFA, I've had a wrap with Nucleus for some time now, it's a managed/advised service, so my platform basically gives me no info other than what the current position is and what funds it's comprised of.

After researching some funds and wanting to have a play around with some funds myself, I've been looking at getting my own self-execution platform set up.
I'll probably have £10-20k in there to start with, so don't want to get stung with fees and my investment eaten away that way, but it really is crucial that the platform gives me good data and analytics - I'd like to see how the fund is doing, where my money has gone over time, and so on, so I can dip in and out and have a complete picture of performance and be well informed as to the next move.
I've got some dummy portfolios set up with FE Trustnet whic I quite like, and I notice they have the Trustnet Direct platform for actual trading, but I wondered if you guys had any other recommendations of platforms that offered these features?

Cheers,
D.

Comments

• LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    HL has good website functions and good tools and is OK for some portfolio types (cash) and smaller amounts.
    I have used that, AJ Bell, Jarvis (similar to X-O) and II. The information on holdings is similar across all, but pricing, what you can invest in and customer service response vary.
    Search for Snowman's spreadsheet on MSE to compare costs for what you want
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    By "fund trading" do you mean frquent buying and selling of funds like some people do with shares? If so I think you are making a mistake. Share trading is based on analysis of short term movements in the market. Things are different with funds.

You shouldn't need your platform to provide "good data and analytics". There is more comprehensive data available from trustnet and morningstar etc. Trustnet's charting facilities are particularly useful in my view as they enable you to plot your portfolio against any other investment. And you can always use other platform's data for free anyway.

I use BestInvest, AJBell and Interactive Investor at the moment and have used Fidelity in the past, but never user their data facilities. They all provide much the same sort of features in marginally more or less convenient ways. One useful facililty available in some (AJBell and Fidelity from memory) but not the other two is the ability to switch funds rather than sell one and buy another as separate activities.
  • You can't buy funds on x-o (Jarvis) except ETFs.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You can't buy funds on x-o (Jarvis) except ETFs

True, I had forgotten that aspect. Apologies to the OP
  • squirrelpie
    squirrelpie Posts: 959 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    HL lets you see charts of individual securities, but it doesn't let you chart your own portfolio, does it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure