glasses required urgently

Options
hi
I am in need of glasses as a matter of urgency, as current ones snapped in middle.
any idea as to which is the quickest online retailer to send them out once ordered.
just want basic reading glasses nothing fancy
thanks
Nice to save.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If it's just readers, why not just buy an 'off the peg' pair from a supermarket?

They're often just a few quid, and could put you on until you find a 'nicer' pair.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • rabialiones
    rabialiones Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have tried these and have purchased a pair, but not doing my eyes any good when on longer periods of reading or surfing web.
    I really need the prescription ones
    Nice to save.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    Some of the big chains have in store labs and can grind them to your prescription, so you can buy over the counter. May not be while you wait, but quicker than getting things by post.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    if the frame you have still exists and they were from the high street you could get the current lenses swapped into a new frame.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    frame snapped in middle
    and I know when it comes to eyesight I shouldn't really prioritise cost,
    I am due for eye test and new glasses in about 8 weeks I should be getting voucher, so that's why I don't want to spend a lot on pair of glasses
    Nice to save.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I'd recommend purchasing a spare prescription pair next time. Avoids these kind of problems. I always get one nice pair and one standard/ basic.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    Panagia wrote: »
    Bless you this thread reminds me of my old chemistry teacher. She must have had the same happen to her glasses, as she had a band-aid around the nose part of her glasses :rotfl:

I would just pop into your opticians and get them fixed asap. By the time you've paid for and waited for postage your optician would probably have had them fixed and ready for you.

Don't go for the off the peg ones if you require prescription glasses, - you'll risk getting headaches and possibly even damaging your eyesight!

replacement pair will cost me at least £40, as optician says these cannot be repaired.
    anyway , guess what??
    I tried to superglue them , but didn't work
    so
    naughty of me, but I had no choice,
    I heated both ends over candle and stuck them back together,-
    plastic frames,- and hey presto, joined, so I am able to use them temporarily until I get another pair sorted
    just that i'll have to be really careful with them now and handle them with care
    l
    Nice to save.
  • rabialiones
    Options
    KxMx wrote: »
    I'd recommend purchasing a spare prescription pair next time. Avoids these kind of problems. I always get one nice pair and one standard/ basic.

will do, thanks for the advice
    Nice to save.
  • bsod
    bsod Posts: 1,225 Forumite
    Options
    araldite for glue

pound shop for glasses
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2017 at 6:35PM
    Options
    I always keep the "last time back" pair/s of glasses just in case.

That does mean keeping rather a lot of glasses around - ie main pair, reading pair and computer pair and the "previous ones" for all 3 for "in case".

...and I have prescription sunglasses...

.....and I have a second (cheaper) pair of "main" glasses.

Mygawd - that's 8 pairs of glasses I have in total one way and another.:eek: That being 4 "on the go" and the last 3 pairs that are no longer right.

It's a good thing I can manage to get £25 a shot ones for reading and computer purposes...though I get whichever ones I want for my main pair and prescription sunglasses pair.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure