Marston debt collectors.

Options
Here's the background and I'll do my best to keep it brief:

This is regarding united utilities water. I contacted them about the first bill and how I could not pay that amount in one go, UU where not interested and kept pushing me for the full payment. No matter what I asked, they kept demanding the full payment and would not budge. Soon they bills where getting higher and UU where threatening me with court action. I told them that I was in contact with the UU trust to get help and if they can put a hold on the court action/adding extra charges until I hear back from the trust. UU sent me a letter that was basically full of lies (I showed the letter to the trust fund and they started an investigation into why UU where saying these to customers), but UU where not going to halt the court action. In the end, UU made the application to the trust fund pointless.

The court refused to take any evidence I had. Then again I got my suspicions when the mediation processes made by the court was just the person from the court saying to me on the phone "Pay them in full now". I did try to explain my side, but, I was not heard. Not surprising, I lost.

Now I have Marston chasing me up. I refuse to pay a single penny. I wanted to get this sorted out from the start, you know, to avoid all this, but United Utilities has been unwilling.

Marston called me today. They wanted me to confirm my address for "data protection purposes". I did ask how they got my house phone number as it's unlisted and I never give it out as it is unreliable. if anything, they should of called my on my mobile as I do give out that number. They went silent for a bit, then asked for the confirmation of my address again. I asked if they could ring me back later today and they said "We don't have the facility's to do that."

So, that's where I am now.

On an interesting note, during the whole debacle, United Utilities, the court and the bailiffs have never spelled my name right. I even got Maeston to spell out the name they had on file for me (they refused to at first). It's only one letter, to me it shows how little attention was was paid to my case. I even pointed this out to them, but no change.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi EOTD,

From what you have described you could now have either county court or high court bailiffs for this debt, try not to worry, these bailiffs would have the same rights of entry in this situation - peaceful entry only. So, from now on, keep your home locked and secure - do not let them inside your home and hide any assets outside - such as a car. As long as you do this they cannot force entry.

If this has been passed to high court and you don't want to deal with Marston's you can make an application to suspend the bailiffs and set up a payment plan of what you can afford (this may only be £1per month). This is known as a Stay of Execution (we have a factsheet to help you - https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/31%20EW%20High%20Court%20enforcement/Default.aspx)

Unfortunately, UU were within their rights to take court action, I understand that you tried to defend/ highlight your situation but that has been ruled on by the court and the money is determined to be owed. I am afraid you will now need to pay these arrears on top of your on going water bill....that doesn't mean you cannot complain about the poor service that you have received. Complain to UU first and if it remains unresolved then escalate it to the Consumer Council for Water. Good Luck

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure