PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Parsnip soup recipe?

Options
Wondered if anyone has an economical parsnip soup recipe they'd like to share? I have 1kg of value parsnips that I'd like to use up. The only recipes I can find have either cream or cheese in them - would like to avoid dairy, generally, if I can.

Thanks!

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't claim authorship - that honour belongs to that doyenne of OldStyle, JackieO.
    But I have the recipe to hand, and can copy'n'paste it for you.
    If you have some apples (any sort is fine) this works, I've tried it. This is literally how JackieO posted it when I asked her for it.:o
    HTH.

JackieO's Parsnip and Apple Soup

2 large bramley cooking apples (I have used eating apples when then have started to go a bit wrinkly )
    4-5 parsnips
    2 veg stock cubes

Crumble up stock cubes to a powder add two-to-three litres of water .
    Peel and chop to oxo-sized cubes the parsnips, and throw them in the pan.
    Cook to a simmer until just starting to soften.
    Peel and chop apples and chuck them in on top, cook until all is soft and you can stick a knife through them.
    Whizz up in a food mixer or blender and portion up.
    Its beautiful and easy peasy to make
    I sometimes add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or nutmeg to spice it up a bit .
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Or if you like it a bit spicy, finely chop an onion, soften in a drop of oil, add curry powder, add chopped parsnips, sweat them till soft. Add stock, bring to boil, when parsnips are cooked through, blend till smooth
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, this what I do, and I love it - sometimes if I have some fresh ginger, I add it instead of curry powder. Personally I also add a teaspoon of lemon juice which I think 'brightens' it.
    When I serve it, I put creme fraiche on the table - everyone can swirl in their own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    :o:o:o:o Blimey I have never been called a doyenne before :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:Lots of other things though ;)

JackieO xx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    suki1964 wrote: »
    Or if you like it a bit spicy, finely chop an onion, soften in a drop of oil, add curry powder, add chopped parsnips, sweat them till soft. Add stock, bring to boil, when parsnips are cooked through, blend till smooth

Thanks a lot - decided to try this (I also used some butter with the oil) and the result was DELICIOUS. Will definitely do it again :T
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LameWolf wrote: »
    I can't claim authorship - that honour belongs to that doyenne of OldStyle, JackieO.
    But I have the recipe to hand, and can copy'n'paste it for you.
    If you have some apples (any sort is fine) this works, I've tried it. This is literally how JackieO posted it when I asked her for it.:o
    HTH.

JackieO's Parsnip and Apple Soup

2 large bramley cooking apples (I have used eating apples when then have started to go a bit wrinkly )
    4-5 parsnips
    2 veg stock cubes

Crumble up stock cubes to a powder add two-to-three litres of water .
    Peel and chop to oxo-sized cubes the parsnips, and throw them in the pan.
    Cook to a simmer until just starting to soften.
    Peel and chop apples and chuck them in on top, cook until all is soft and you can stick a knife through them.
    Whizz up in a food mixer or blender and portion up.
    Its beautiful and easy peasy to make
    I sometimes add a teaspoon of ground cinnamon or nutmeg to spice it up a bit .

This solves my other problem - what to do with a glut of apples. Thank you!
  • Nomoonatall
    Nomoonatall Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    Options
    Add a couple of carrots and a pinch of cumin. I love parsnip soup!
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Corona wrote: »
    Thanks a lot - decided to try this (I also used some butter with the oil) and the result was DELICIOUS. Will definitely do it again :T

Tbh I only ever sweat down in butter. Extravagent but tastes so much better. When whizzed up I might add a dollop of creme freche or butter or cream

To really posh it up, make a few parsnip chips to scatter on top
  • pinkladyvenus
    Options
    500g parsnips peeled and chopped
    1 onion chopped
    2 stock cubes dissolved in 700mls water
    150mls soya milk
    1tsp curry powder
    1tsp oil

fry parsnips and onion for 10 minutes without browning in the oil
    stir in curry powder cook for a further minute
    then add milk and water and cook to parsnips soft
    blend and add more boiling water if too thick.

It freezes well and I save the parsnip peelings and dry bake in the oven to serve along side the soup sprinkle a little salt on them.
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Same as JackieO but with a little cumin or curry powder to taste. It is also nice with a little sage with a few fried sage leaves on top. It is so cheap and versatile you can try different combinations of herbs.
    If it is too thick, slacken it down with some milk
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business