Changes to department name and job title

Options
The department I work in is having its name changed. Also we are having our job titles changed.

Just trying to work out why they are doing this ? As my job roll has changed ever so slightly but not that much.

1) could they do this to outsource our department
2) is this a typical move if they are looking to make redundancies?

I am just trying to plan ahead of possible. Thanks for any information

Comments

• Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Options
    My department has changed names twice in the last year. First time because the structure was changed completely, the second time because they didn't like the last name.

Had nothing to do with outsourcing or redundancies.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Job titles and department names seem to be more of a 'fashion accessory' than anything else these days. Some organisations seem to think that if they stick with established names for either they aren't considered to be dynamic enough. If you ask me somebody has too much free time on their hands if that's the most pressing requirement for a company. :-)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If that's all you have to worry about I suspect you have too much time on your hands (of course, if that is the case it could mean they are thinking of redundancies, but there's a degree of circular reasoning involved).
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    Nothing much going on in HR this week, I expect. They've just changed all our e-mail footers for no particular reason.

I'd be more worried about my job if I worked in HR. You guys are probably OK, unless you have spent all week with your feet on your desks while you talk about your new job titles and what it might mean.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure