Return to education or build my own business - which is the best route to take?

Options
I am deciding this year whether to return to education or start my own business. I am currently saving money and building a budget for if/when i make the decision to start a business. One issue at the moment is i am undecided on a business idea so i am just taking it day by day and continuing to write down ideas. I am working two jobs and have been increasing my hours just to save up the money.

The extra hours are no biggie to me, but the one concern i have with returning to education is the lack of disposable income i will have during the time of prospective studies and the uncertainty of employment afterwards. I haven't been in education system for over 6 years and the last time i was at college i studied Art A-level. The problem with Art is there's not much money or opportunity in it, so now i want a career which is allows financial stability.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a question there ?

As you don't have a business idea why not carry on with the 2 jobs.
  • Got2Save
    Got2Save Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Is there a question there ?

As you don't have a business idea why not carry on with the 2 jobs.

Sorry. Yes i just wanted suggestions on which one would be a more appropriate route. I should have listed my interests. I have thought about studying for a career in healthcare or design. I like the thought of designing homes, but i don't think i could cope without much money while i study after being so comfortable with having the funds to do or buy what i would like without having to compromise too much.
  • Flyonthewall
    Flyonthewall Posts: 4,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No one here can tell you what's best for you.

At the moment you have no business idea and without that you have no business so it rules that out as an option.

Then again, you don't seem to have any idea what you want to study either.

So rather than figuring out which maybe figure out what. What is it you want to do?

Once you know that you can either go and study it if needed to get a job or see if there's a self-employed/business option there.

For example, with design you could study it and become an employed designer or you could start your own design company or go freelance. You have art and could teach yourself some design basics or do a short part time course and that may be enough whereas you may need more to get a job.
  • cupid07
    cupid07 Posts: 126 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go down the business route. Education is redundant these days. Everyone has a degree and post grad is even more useless unless you go into research.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure