CCJ help

Options
Hi, a friend received a CCJ claim form from Npower which he sent back with his budget, prepared by Stepchange and showing he could afford just nominal payments (£5) on a £572 debt.

He did not receive a court date.

Today he received a judgement dated 5th December. The debt is now £724.20 (including court costs) and it says they want £1013.45 per month!

We are assuming a typo and they want £103.45 (one seventh of the debt).

He cannot afford this and the 14 days to apply to vary the amount had already passed.

Can he do anything? I wondered if the lack of notification of a court date and/or the incorrect amount on the paperwork might give him some leeway somehow?

Thanks for any advice!
LBM:1/1/12
Debts @ LBM:£43,546 :eek: Debts now: £9,486 :cool: 78% PAID
Found YNAB 1/2/14 - the best thing EVER!

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Is he still a customer of npower? They have a charitable trust that could help

http://www.npowerenergyfund.com/

Otherwise he should query the judgement with the court - you are probably correct but it needs to be sorted.

I think he should just pay what he can afford and if they instruct bailiffs, use an N245 to suspend the warrant and vary the order.

Is this his only debt?
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    was the debt valid?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Giraffeseeker
    Options
    Yes, it is a valid debt, but not his only one! He has about £35k of debts and is on a DMP paying £160 per month via Stepchange.

He is no longer a customer of npower.
  • thewhiteavenger
    Options
    I wonder why they put him on an 18-year plan, rather than an IVA or bankruptcy. Homeowner maybe?

Maybe now is the time to reevaluate what he is doing?
  • Giraffeseeker
    Options
    Yes, homeowner and divorced parent, so paying maintenance for 3 kids but that won't be forever. I guess that is why the long DMP. He was paying more but has had to reduce due to increased bills and no pay rises at work.
  • nPower
    nPower Posts: 1,319 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    tintingirl wrote: »
    Hi, a friend received a CCJ claim form from Npower which he sent back with his budget, prepared by Stepchange and showing he could afford just nominal payments (£5) on a £572 debt.

He did not receive a court date.

Today he received a judgement dated 5th December. The debt is now £724.20 (including court costs) and it says they want £1013.45 per month!

We are assuming a typo and they want £103.45 (one seventh of the debt).

He cannot afford this and the 14 days to apply to vary the amount had already passed.

Can he do anything? I wondered if the lack of notification of a court date and/or the incorrect amount on the paperwork might give him some leeway somehow?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi tintingirl,

Thank you for your post.

The account holder will need to contact us directly to discuss this further. He can contact us using the information on our profile page.

Regards
    Steve
    Official Company Representative"
    I am the official company representative of nPower. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE.
    If we ask you to contact us, please do so using helpandsupport@npower.com - MSE Forum has temporarily allowed the display of our contact details in our signature due to a technical issue with our profile
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    tintingirl wrote: »
    Yes, it is a valid debt, but not his only one! He has about £35k of debts and is on a DMP paying £160 per month via Stepchange.

He is no longer a customer of npower.

Their is ways to dispute this bills, were actual reads taken, final bill provided within 6 weeks, also actual reads used that fall inline.

I know a lot of legal ways to get around this company pm me
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure