PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Pro's and con's of living in "the sticks"

Options

Comments

• lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    As you say, the village is only about 6 miles from the town - I would say go for it, the town is not far away if you need anything.

I live in a village with around 100 houses, we have a school and a pub and a playground, and that's it, but I love it.

I work 20 mile away anyway and have to stop for groceries on my way home from work etc, but its not that difficult really.

Amenities aren't really that important, as for all the time you actually use a dentist, doctor etc, the trip to town is no bother.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I moved from London to a tiny hamlet at the foot of the glens in Northern Ireland. And I love it
    ( even more now fast broadband is available ) :rotfl:

There's 10 houses here with two being built next year so then we might get road markings and street lights lol

Nearest shop is the petrol station 4 miles away

This morning we have woken to a thick layer of snow, and no gritted roads, and we drive a rear wheel drive car

We use oil and coal for heating. Oil is low in price ATM, so nearly as cheap as mains gas. However you do need to get your head around having to pay up front, not for what you have used

We keep a well stocked larder. We shop weekly and we try to do all we need in town at the same time because of the distances I would say that's our biggest expense, diesel. Public transport is nearly non exsistent here, cars are a necessity

We have had some major bad winters in the eight years we have lived here, one where we had 10 foot of snow, one where we were without power for a whole week, one where we had solid ice for three weeks, then no water for a week when the thaw finally came

But life goes on, we still get to work and out and about. We know winters can be bad and we are prepared for all eventualities. We have wind up lamps, a camping stove,and big kettles for the stoves, so we always have heat, light and hot food and water

All the kids go to the local schools for primary years. Then they have to travel to the towns for secondary education. The school busses drop them off as close to their homes as possible, but that can still mean a mile or so walk to the pick up point. Obviously we are very rural and if you are looking at a village move it's not so applicable

Mums and dads spend a LOT of time doing kids runs, some mums and dads have to drive their kids to and from work as well if they struggle to get their licence.

Found it very disconcerting at first, realising that everyone knows everything about everyone. But I've got used to it and find it really quite reassuring now. When illness and death came to this family, the support and help we received without even having to say to anyone was heartwarming. Neighbours even travelling across the country to attend funerals. We don't live in each other's pockets but we support each other When cars need digging out of the snow there's many a willing helper. We don't wait around for the road service to get the roads clear, the local farmers will keep them passable There is a great community spirit. All the small twins have community centres and they are well used and attended. There is always something happening somewhere. I actually have more of a social life now then when I lived in London

I was 42 when we moved and at first I found it so frustrating to have to do a 100 mile trip to get to a decent sized town with the shops that sold the things I wanted. People here thought I was mad I now know I was mad myself :rotfl: life is simpler here, I don't need half the stuff I was pining for. My wardrobe is half the size it was. My high heels are never worn, the cows and sheep aren't bothered by how many handbags I have. :)

We will move to a town again when we are too old to drive but for now I'm loving country living
  • krustylouise
    Options
    lazer wrote: »
    As you say, the village is only about 6 miles from the town - I would say go for it, the town is not far away if you need anything.

I live in a village with around 100 houses, we have a school and a pub and a playground, and that's it, but I love it.

I work 20 mile away anyway and have to stop for groceries on my way home from work etc, but its not that difficult really.

Amenities aren't really that important, as for all the time you actually use a dentist, doctor etc, the trip to town is no bother.

That sounds exactly like the village we are looking at. School, pub and small park! I know 6 miles isn't far away and where I work I have access to people who live in very rural areas where the nearest supermarkets are over 20miles away so in that respect we are lucky.

Thank you for your comment :)

PAD 2023 Debt total as of Dec 2022 £18,988.63*April £17,711.03

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

#22 - 1p savings challenge 2023 £166.95/£667.95

Saving for Christmas - £1 a day savings challenge 2023 £50/£1000

• krustylouise
    Options
    SUKI1964 - thank you so much for your comment. Its reassuring to see that it can work and yours is on such a large scale! London to a hamlet!? That's brave!

I'm really pleased you have found support when needed. I am used to people knowing my business already anyway so that isn't an issue!

Thank you again, your post made me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am very conscious of the cost of oil, and have been reading up on it and hoping by learning new skills from this website/forums I can pick up some skills that may help reduce our energy bills.

Good point on the power cuts though - that thought never entered my mind! Where we live now we have the odd one perhaps one a year, but we are very lucky!

Not for now, because of other financial points, but oil isn't all there is now. I'm on air source for example. :D

Mojisola wrote: »
    That's fine while you both have jobs and can afford two cars.

The other posters have given good advice but also think about how life could change - when you're a long way from anywhere and short of money or not well, it's much harder to cope than if you have a lot of amenities on your door step.

Six miles isn't that remote if the adults are healthy. One could fairly easily commute by bike a considerable part of the year.
    That's the thing, I want us to become more self sufficient, hone my old style skills and enjoy the simple lifestyle, enjoy being outdoors etc. I am not the type to go out, I don't drink and genuinely would prefer being tucked up by the fire than out on the town wearing uncomfortable heels, standing waiting to be served for 15mins, being knocked into, not being able to hear the person you're with over the noise and spending £50+ on one night!

But the limitations such as no park, no soft play, etc makes me wonder whether DD would benefit or would she be bored more?

I think that you are slightly thinking in oxymoronic terms of lifestyle here. Self sufficient life style yet worried about access to soft play for example. You could still be somewhat self provident for veg in a normal suburban or urban garden. :). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

Remember on the occasions you do go out, and there might well be some...work parties, friends birthdays/ family occasions...it will cost MORE to get back and be a longer night.
  • melanzana
    melanzana Posts: 3,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Have you given any thoughts to renting for a year, i.e. letting out your current house, and renting something in the village as an experiment?

That way, you can, for a full year, school wise, weather wise and amenity wise discover if a permanent move is the one for you and your family.

TBH if I were hesitant at all, I would not do what you are suggesting without renting for a year first.

It's just a suggestion, renting is temporary, and can be reversed, but buying is not, and you may regret it. Then again you may not, but you will really only find out if you give it a try without burning all your boats!

Best of luck. I hope whatever you decide works out for you.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Suki you live in a similar place to me - but I'm a big city mouse compared to you as we have 2 doz houses and 2 streetlights :p
    It's 11 miles to my nearest shop which is a wee village store/post office... further to supermarkets, the library, bank etc. I organise things so that we do everything in one trip. I get online shopping from Sainsbugs for £1 midweek, and my only problem is powercuts and the freezer. So I don't keep a lot of meat in there in winter. I heat with coal and cook with LPG. I won't move from here until I'm carried out lol
  • krustylouise
    Options
    Not for now, because of other financial points, but oil isn't all there is now. I'm on air source for example. :D

The house would be a rental property so no changing of this. We get what we are given!

Six miles isn't that remote if the adults are healthy. One could fairly easily commute by bike a considerable part of the year.

I think that you are slightly thinking in oxymoronic terms of lifestyle here. Self sufficient life style yet worried about access to soft play for example. You could still be somewhat self provident for veg in a normal suburban or urban garden. :). It doesn't have to be one or the other.

We have envisaged a village lifestyle and it would undoubtedly be a quieter one than we are used to now. For me, self sufficient would mean growing more vegetables and fruit, as currently we don't have the space that we would in the new property. The soft play is a form of entertainment for DD, we don't visit it very often but it is merely an example of the things we won't have walking access to if we move.

Remember on the occasions you do go out, and there might well be some...work parties, friends birthdays/ family occasions...it will cost MORE to get back and be a longer night.

No doubt in my mind there will be christmas work parties for DH, I don't drink so am always the designated driver. Our families live 40miles away from where we live now so commuting to celebrate with them has always been involved.

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• krustylouise
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Have you given any thoughts to renting for a year, i.e. letting out your current house, and renting something in the village as an experiment?

That way, you can, for a full year, school wise, weather wise and amenity wise discover if a permanent move is the one for you and your family.

TBH if I were hesitant at all, I would not do what you are suggesting without renting for a year first.

It's just a suggestion, renting is temporary, and can be reversed, but buying is not, and you may regret it. Then again you may not, but you will really only find out if you give it a try without burning all your boats!

Best of luck. I hope whatever you decide works out for you.

Thank you for your comment. We do not own our own house, we currently rent a 2 bed house for £550pm, we will require a bigger house regardless but this house has come up for rent in an area close to the school :)

Halifax CC £3168.21

Halifax loan £6095.47

Car finance £7639.02

Next £0/£808.33

• Broomstick
    Broomstick Posts: 1,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Years ago I moved with a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old from a town into a village and put on weight :eek: which was something I had not bargained for. In the town (which was hilly) I walked everywhere with one child in the buggy and the other in a backpack carrier. I only really used the car for trips out of town or the once-a-week supermarket shop.

When we moved to the edge of the village there were no pavements and it was scary to leave our drive to walk on the verges or the road edge just to get to the local shops. The roads were winding and many cars drove too fast. In order to cope, we ended up driving everywhere and the net result was that I got fatter!

If you do decide to move, make sure that you can get safely from the new house to everywhere you might need to go within the village area with whatever on-foot baby transport you intend to use.

B x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport