in debt reality check! Help Please?

Options
Hi everyone

Ive had a bit of reality check today need to face facts and the fact is im in debt and lots of it! Both my husband and i work full time and have 2 children one in full time nursery and one in wrap around. We are struggling to make ends meet at the moment and im unsure how to start fixing the issue. I have done SOA which is below but have no clue what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
Number of children in household......... 2
Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1960
Partners monthly income after tax....... 1100
Benefits................................ 34
Other income............................ 136
Total monthly income.................... 3230

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
Rent.................................... 379.88
Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
Council tax............................. 83
Electricity............................. 33
Gas..................................... 33
Oil..................................... 0
Water rates............................. 60
Telephone (land line)................... 0
Mobile phone............................ 80
TV Licence.............................. 37
Satellite/Cable TV...................... 75
Internet Services....................... 8.99
Groceries etc. ......................... 200
Clothing................................ 70
Petrol/diesel........................... 150
Road tax................................ 16.27
Car Insurance........................... 148
Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0
Car parking............................. 0
Other travel............................ 0
Childcare/nursery....................... 652
Other child related expenses............ 70
Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
Pet insurance/vet bills................. 25
Buildings insurance..................... 0
Contents insurance...................... 8
Life assurance ......................... 0
Other insurance......................... 0
Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
Haircuts................................ 30
Entertainment........................... 50
Holiday................................. 0
Emergency fund.......................... 0
Total monthly expenses.................. 2269.14

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
House value (Gross)..................... 0
Shares and bonds........................ 0
Car(s).................................. 0
Other assets............................ 0
Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
sofa...........................1500......44.08.....0
car 1..........................12000.....201.8.....0
car 2..........................5500......144.......0
Total unsecured debts..........19000.....389.88....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,230
Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,269.14
Available for debt repayments........... 960.86
Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 389.88
Amount left after debt repayments....... 570.98

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
Total assets (things you own)........... 0
Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
Total Unsecured debt.................... -19,000
Net Assets.............................. -19,000

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    Options
    welcome to DFW Missy - and well done on having your Lightbulb Moment - that's the toughest bit done, to be honest - so let's crack on and see how fast you can get things sorted.

Comments on your SOA in red, as usual...
    missys86 wrote: »
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1960
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1100
    Benefits................................ 34 This seems low for 2 kids - does your income level rule you out of child benefit? It doesn't seem like it should?
    Other income............................ 136
    Total monthly income.................... 3230

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 0
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 379.88
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 83 Do you pay this over 10 months or 12? If 10, remember that you should have this months payment still in the bank and nothing going on this next month. Might make life simpler to contact the council and ask them to put you onto 12 monthly payments from April, too
    Electricity............................. 33
    Gas..................................... 33
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 60 Is this metered? If so have a read of some water saving principles and see what you can do on that
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 80 Ouchy! Are either of you out of contract or nearing the end? If so look for good SIM only deals that will slash this.
    TV Licence.............................. 37 Why so much?
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 75 Ring your provider and haggle. If you don;t want to change, you don't have to pretend you do, just given them a call and tell them you want to stay, but can't afford to, and need to know what they can do for you.
    Internet Services....................... 8.99
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 70 Slash this right down for now - yes I know kids need clothes, but the smaller one can wear the bigger one's cast offs, and for older kids eBay can be good, failing that the supermarket ranges offer good value for less money. For you & your OH it needs to be essentials only for a while
    Petrol/diesel........................... 150
    Road tax................................ 16.27 Do you actually pay this out monthly?
    Car Insurance........................... 148 Whoah - how much?!!! That is £1700 p-er year which is a LOT of money on insurance. Why so much? have you used the comparison sites?
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 0 You need something in here - two cars doing average mileage - think about setting aside a sum each month to cover MOT, servicing, and depreciative items
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 652 Do you use the childcare vouchers scheme to pay your childcare costs?
    Other child related expenses............ 70 Is this essential? Can it be trimmed?
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 25
    Buildings insurance..................... 0
    Contents insurance...................... 8
    Life assurance ......................... 0
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50 Sorry to say but you need to trim this for the time being in my opinion.
    Haircuts................................ 30
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0 You need to start getting something in here
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2269.14

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 0
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 0 Should the car values not be in here?
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 0

No Secured nor Hire Purchase Debts

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    sofa...........................1500......44.08.....0 Are all these definitely at 0%
    car 1..........................12000.....201.8.....0
    car 2..........................5500......144.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........19000.....389.88....-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,230
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,269.14
    Available for debt repayments........... 960.86
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 389.88
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 570.98 Do you actually have this surplus each month? If not you need to start a spending diary and note every penny you spend to work out where it's going.

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -19,000
    Net Assets.............................. -19,000

On the face of it that isn't so bad. Allowing for the £570 surplus you should have, then you're looking at a touch under three years - albeit that may be able to reduce as obviously you';; be making the standard payments as well. If the sofa is - as it may be - on 0% - then leave that alone at the moment. Check whether there are any restrictions on overpaying the loans, and also whether there is any advantage to paying off in dribs and drabs rather than saving a lump sum to clear those. Saving a lump sum would have the advantage of covering both your emergency fund and car repair costs for the time being too - so that's worth thinking about.

One thing leaps out at me from your SOA - you say you're struggling to make ends meet - but your budget doesn't suggest that at all. Is the SOA abiove there how things currently are, or how you think they should be? There's a massive difference!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Hi

Well your soa shows you have £570 per month surplus after paying your debts.

Is that the case in practice? If not, you need to keep a record of spending to find out where it's going.

The only thing that might be the culprit is groceries - £200 is low for 2 adults, 2 kids, particulary if either of the adults smokes or drinks. You might also check your tv licence as 12.12 is standard for a monthly payment.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there

You've had some good advice about trimming your budget, I thought it looked ok but would agree there are savings to be made.

If you get rid of the £12k car and got one more affordable then you wouldn't have much of a debt problem. Just a thought. ;)

Best of luck.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good for you for sorting this. Looks to me like your TV licence is quarterly. Are you struggling to make ends meet at the end of a month or are you left with 500 to play with? I would second what everyone else is saying, keep a diary for few months and see what you're really spending on things it may well be that your grocery bill is a lot higher than 200 or that your spending a lot on something ax daft as a daily coffee. Also consider annual expenses (holidays MOT christmas etc etc) I try and budget these in monthly to give a good reflection of what I actually spend over 12 months so I'm not caught out by "one off" big expenses xx
  • laurenh1
    Options
    Also as the others have said, go through your bills. Depending on your preference either put one afternoon aside and go through them all (compare, haggle etc) or set yourself a challenge of doing one per day. Say calling sky one day, gas and electric the next. There's a good guide in thr money diet if you're unsure xx
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    laurenh1 wrote: »
    Good for you for sorting this. Looks to me like your TV licence is quarterly. Are you struggling to make ends meet at the end of a month or are you left with 500 to play with? I would second what everyone else is saying, keep a diary for few months and see what you're really spending on things it may well be that your grocery bill is a lot higher than 200 or that your spending a lot on something ax daft as a daily coffee. Also consider annual expenses (holidays MOT christmas etc etc) I try and budget these in monthly to give a good reflection of what I actually spend over 12 months so I'm not caught out by "one off" big expenses xx

This is excellent advice - and can work really well. the method we use is to set up automated transfers each month when we get paid into various "offshoot" savings accounts - we have then for car expenses, holiday, Christmas/presents, small household expenses (so when the contents insurance comes due, or the kettle or iron breaks) and even one for general "fun" stuff. Once you get into the habit of separating everything that is allocated elsewhere out before you start, it's easy to remember that what's left is all there is.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • missys86
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies!
    To answer a few questions,
    We do get child benefit that's the 136 amount and 36 for tax credits.
    The car insurance is for both cars.
    The other child care cost is for my sons school lunch and breakfast club.
    Council tax is over 12months
    And the TV licence is quarterly, my mistake!

Both cars are on finance so could we trade on in? One of the mobile contract will end in March so it will be switched to a sim only.

I don't think we do have £500 left after paying everything so I am going to start a spending diary to keep track of everything

Loads of ideas. Thanks again
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I think you have some holes in your soa as presumably you do not have £500 spare each month. You do not have credit card debt though so that is good and I am assuming the sofa is interest free credit so no need to address that beyond monthly payments being built into your budget. Keeping a spending diary is a good idea. I am guessing there are lots of additional cash withdrawals, grocery spends and as you have pets there is probably pet food too.

The cars look like the problem but presumably they are in good condition as the loans are quite high. I doubt they are on 0% and not sure what type of finance you have taken out for them. Are they actually loans or are they these finance deals where there is a balloon payment at the end or you never actually own the car? What finance deal you are on affects whether you can get out of it and get rid of one of the cars.

You need an emergency fund and as others have said, the mobiles, cable tv and clothing and car insurance is high. Even for 2 cars £1776 is extortionate insurance. Are either of you new drivers?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,580 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    missys86 wrote: »
    Both cars are on finance so could we trade on in?

If they are on hire purchase or conditional sale, then you can do a voluntary termination, and your liability is limited to half the total amount. So if you are already half way through the agreement, you should be able to escape without penalty

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/hire-purchase-debt/hire-purchase-and-conditional-sale.aspx
  • laurenh1
    Options
    A spending diary will be a real eye opener I think, which is why people are suggesting it. A few years ago I was wondering where all my cash was going I wasn't extravagant and we earned ok money (nothing to write home about) and it was nipping into tesco and spending 30 quid unplanned or the husbands McDonald's lunch a few times a week , I used to stop at the food van on the way to work for a bacon roll and coffee with was only 3 a day but it all adds up. Once I knew where i was spending I could cut back. I still do it now just to keep an eye on it so if my groceries go or my fuel for example , I don't cut back anymore but I can budget accordingly :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure