injured at work. what are my rights?

Options
Sorry if this is in the wrong place im new to this!

Looking for some advice and opinions :)

I work in a care home and was assaulted by a resident, I am now off work with muscle strains in my neck back and shoulder and also have my hand strapped up due to ligament and muscle damage. My employer has said for me to get my wages I should go back and do light duties other wise it will be just ssp i will receive. Being a care assistant there is little I can think of that I could do safely with one arm and not being able to put pressure on my back. This is leaving me minus £1000 pm. The resident who assaulted me had been in my workplace for three weeks and from the first day we reported he was violent and aggressive, hitting residents and threatening staff. We were given no training to help us deal with this or to protect our self and now I am left not knowing what to do :(

Thankyou for any replies I may get

x

Comments

• piglet74
    piglet74 Posts: 2,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm a care assistant, although in the community, and at different times colleagues have been offered light duties due to illnesses, injuries etc, these usually follow a period of sick leave, usually up to six months, and are office based jobs, eg reception duties, admin duties, photocopying, filing etc.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its for your employer to create/find suitable duties.
    For £1000 a month I would be showing up.
  • Bryando
    Bryando Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    Inform the Police you have been attacked and leave it up to them to decide any issue around capacity. You could look at criminal injuries.

If managers were made aware of his behaviour they should have put in place measures to secure employees safety. So you could be looking at - what steps have they taken.

A few angles to this. Speak with Acas see link and they might be able to explore options with you. http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure