Tax refund problem

Options
I'm retired and have paid too much tax on my pension received in the year 2016/17. Have written two letters to HMRC requesting a refund, both have been ignored. I'm told that I should complete form P55 but the only one I can find on HMRC website is for 2017/18(?). So how do I request a refund that is HMRC compliant?
Named after my cat, picture coming shortly

Comments

• caveat_emptor
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Thanks but none of these applies to me. I had a tax code that assumed I was taking certain pension but at year end I didn't, hence the request for a refund. So how do I claim?
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 13 June 2017 at 9:44PM
    Options
    You can use this tool to check when you can expect a response,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tools/progress-tool/employee.htm

I think elsewhere on gov.uk it mentions HMRC expect to review last years tax for everyone (who doesn't complete a tax return) between June and October.

Re your latest post, do you mean too much tax was taken from your pension because it wasn't as much as anticipated or do you mean this smaller pension amount had no tax deducted but as a result of it being less than expected it meant you had spare tax allowances which could be used against another source of taxed income?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you looked at your personal tax account?

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account

What you can do
    You can use your personal tax account to:

check your Income Tax estimate and tax code
    fill in, send and view a personal tax return
    claim a tax refund
    check and manage your tax credits
    check your State Pension
    track tax forms that you’ve submitted online
    check or update your Marriage Allowance
    tell HMRC about a change of address
    check or update benefits you get from work, for example company car details and medical insurance
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    You can use this tool to check when you can expect a response,

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/tools/progress-tool/employee.htm

I think elsewhere on gov.uk it mentions HMRC expect to review last years tax for everyone (who doesn't complete a tax return) between June and October.

Re your latest post, do you mean too much tax was taken from your pension because it wasn't as much as anticipated or do you mean this smaller pension amount had no tax deducted but as a result of it being less than expected it meant you had spare tax allowances which could be used against another source of taxed income?
    Yes too much tax as been taken because it wasn't as much as HMRC forecast.
  • caveat_emptor
    Options
    xylophone wrote: »
    Have you looked at your personal tax account?

https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account
    Verrrry interesting. HMRC say that they sent me a letter (but no date given which would be helpful).
    I haven't received the letter and I won't be holding my breath......
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm retired and have paid too much tax on my pension received in the year 2016/17. Have written two letters to HMRC requesting a refund, both have been ignored. I'm told that I should complete form P55 but the only one I can find on HMRC website is for 2017/18(?). So how do I request a refund that is HMRC compliant?

I have been filling in an online P55 form, I need to check the year. My money is from a pension, but I dont have a letter from the pension company to say how much tax I have paid.
    I can just subtract the numbers, but is there other information needed?
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,422 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    but I dont have a letter from the pension company to say how much tax I have paid.

No P60 from the pension provider?
  • haggishopper
    Options
    use google and type - claim tax refund HMRC and go to their web page " claim tax refund online"
    that section will explain how to proceed
  • haggishopper
    Options
    My spouse is in the same position as you with regards to pension income. He sends a written statement each year (as advised by HMRC) but send it NEXT DAY GUARANTEED DELIVERY postal service
    costs more but they know you have proof of full tracking. Then if you have an online tax account with HMRC you can go to TRACK YOUR CORRESPONDENCE and see when they received it and how it is progressing. We have had more success using this postal delivery service and keep your
    receipt at all times. You can check the royal mail tracking as well for proof of delivery.
    So far we have got all our refunds back and you should receive a P800 statement in due course to show you the actual tax figures. June/July
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure