When to buy a new hi fi

Options
Looking to buy a new hi fi, possibly from richer sounds. Is there a good time to buy. I.e. When they need to get their sales figures up?

Comments

• coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure if there's a best time to buy, but subscribe to their email VIP club and you'll be alerted to their special offers.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are serious about music I would not buy from Richer Sounds. Look to buy top-end hi-fi separates second-hand: people who buy that kind of stuff look after it and tend to behave decently towards fellow enthusiasts. As an example: I bought a Linn Sondek in 1992, never had any problems with it, and a couple of years ago I took it in for a service and all that was needed was to change a few rubber bands. (I paid a few hundred for it on purchase, and buyiing a new one today would cost about ten thousand pounds.)
  • Tickdick00
    Tickdick00 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you are serious about music I would not buy from Richer Sounds. Look to buy top-end hi-fi separates second-hand: people who buy that kind of stuff look after it and tend to behave decently towards fellow enthusiasts. As an example: I bought a Linn Sondek in 1992, never had any problems with it, and a couple of years ago I took it in for a service and all that was needed was to change a few rubber bands. (I paid a few hundred for it on purchase, and buyiing a new one today would cost about ten thousand pounds.)

The Linn Sondek is a great piece of kit but not if you don't own any LPs!
    Over the years I have had various set-ups costing several thousand each.
    My current set up is a pair of Sonos 1's.(Total cost £300) - thats it. No bundles of wires cluttering the lounge. No "metal shoe boxes" sitting in a hifi rack. I would suggest the musical quality is 85% of my very best "pure" hifi system. Or perhaps my hearing is deteriorating with age:D

If you simply want to listen to music of a good quality without breaking the bank then Sonos and a subscription to Spotify or Apple Music would be my suggestion - and everything controlled by your smartphone or tablet.

I have always found Richer Sounds to be helpful and approachable and the staff are always willing to share their passion for music and films. They have "Open Box" sales several times a year but the savings aren't that great compared with their normal prices. Signing up for their VIP Club has already been recommended and I would agree this is the best way to get the very best deals available.

I would also recommend ringing RS beforehand and booking a demo slot - that way you will be guaranteed some time with one of their experts.

Hope that helps!
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    fairycake wrote: »
    Looking to buy a new hi fi, possibly from richer sounds. Is there a good time to buy. I.e. When they need to get their sales figures up?

The best time to buy is when you can justify spending money on a system which will produce noticably better quality sound than your current system.

Generally high quality hifi components hold their value very well, if something is being reduced, there is probably a good reason.

What do you currently have? what components do you plan to replace? and what is your budget?

Suggest you register on the what hifi forums, I generally post there for hifi advice.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fairycake wrote: »
    When they need to get their sales figures up?

Lol. They queue out the door in the Brighton store. The London Bridge store was in the Guinness book of records in the early 80's as the busiest store in the world (£ per sq ft).

Brilliant store, brilliant service.

My most recent purchase was a 20 year old Marantz cd player for £30 from ebay. I nearly cried with joy this week playing the new version of Sgt Pepper in 5.1- sounded like it was recorded yesterday. Stunning.

I now spend way more time listening to music than watching tv (also bought from Richer Sounds).
  • Im_just_careful
    Options
    While they are arguably not in the "top end" Hi-Fi business they are great for buying a "decent" Hi-Fi.

Personally I'm very pleased with my Denon M38DAB that came from there a few years back.

The main thing I would spend time on is finding speakers you like the sound of. I spent a while in their demo facility before getting some JBL Control 1s.

I don't have space for floor standing loudspeakers where I have the Denon, if I had I might have gone with something different.

Also think about connections, what needs to plug in/connect ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure