Solar iboost installation

I have recently had a 2.65KW solar PV system installed and am considering a solar iboost water heater. My current immersion heater is 3kw. At the moment I am generating approx 2-3KW a day and exporting most of it as no one is in the property during the day. I have periodically checked the power out put from the panels and they are generating up to 1.3kw at a time in the day.

Do I need to change my immersion heater to 1kw or will the 3kw one do. I don't really understand how it works. Could someone kindly explain for me please. Thanks

Comments

• legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 December 2014 at 6:03PM
    pete1968 wrote: »
    I have recently had a 2.65KW solar PV system installed and am considering a solar iboost water heater. My current immersion heater is 3kw. At the moment I am generating approx 2-3KW a day and exporting most of it as no one is in the property during the day. I have periodically checked the power out put from the panels and they are generating up to 1.3kw at a time in the day.

Do I need to change my immersion heater to 1kw or will the 3kw one do. I don't really understand how it works. Could someone kindly explain for me please. Thanks

It will work with a 2.65kWh system.

Not sure how much you will get, dependant on house baseload.

The Solar iboost diverts any excess solar power to the immersion heater.

I'm not using an iboost, but my device does the same.

I would also turn your immersion stat up and the cylinder stat down:cool:

(immersion temp set higher than cyl stat temp)

Edit.

Most of the people I know, negotiated a deal with the iboost thrown in:think:
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • So in laymans term, the 1kw or so surplus I have will still cause the 3kw immersion heater to heat albeit at a lower wattage?

Thanks for your reply
  • Today, I generated around 6kWh and the iBoost grabbed 2 kWh. I am not sure about the payback period but installers appears to be throwing them into deals. Must be reasonably cheap for solar installers.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • pete1968_2
    pete1968_2 Posts: 42 Forumite
    edited 13 December 2014 at 6:17PM
    My installer wanted £530 to supply and install. I've bought one off e-bay for £210

Just checked my inverter and I have generated 5.677kwh today
  • legoman62
    legoman62 Posts: 4,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 December 2014 at 6:24PM
    So in lay mans term, the 1kw or so surplus I have will still cause the 3kw immersion heater to heat albeit at a lower wattage?

Thanks for your reply

Should divert any excess.

Read-out gives daily,weekly,monthly and total saved.

Cost about £200ish.

You could ask your installer for a price to fit one in for you?:cool:

Edit.
    Just seen your 5.15pm post. Do you know a leccy who could fit it...looks fairly easy:D
    16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch. Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. Hybrid car. Ripple Kirk Hill. N.E Lincs Coast.
  • pete1968 wrote: »
    So in laymans term, the 1kw or so surplus I have will still cause the 3kw immersion heater to heat albeit at a lower wattage?

Thanks for your reply

Yes - if there is 500w excess it diverts that. It fluctuates depending on the excess until hot and then obviously it stops. I personally think it's the best bit of kit to compliment the PV as you just leave it to do it's stuff knowing that if the clouds move it will automatically use the excess to heat the water. Seems easy to fit from the immersion heater switch to the heater itself.
  • I think that I might install an "export light" outside of the airing cupboard to indicate when generating is exceeding normal usage.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I think that I might install an "export light" outside of the airing cupboard to indicate when generating is exceeding normal usage.

Thats a great idea. Im always opening up the cupboard to see if im iboosting!
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    My installer wanted £530 to supply and install. I've bought one off e-bay for £210

Just checked my inverter and I have generated 5.677kwh today

My rough calculation when I did the maths reckoned I'd save roughly 800Kw/h over the year - albeit I discounted the winter months as generally the gas central heating would be on and thus heating the water anyway.

800Kw/h at a small premium (1p) to gas price (4p a Kw/h) for wear/tear of boiler gives (800*0.05) = £40 per annum.

I'd argue the life of these are probably 4-5 years max so anything over £200 is probably too much.

Just my opinion - happy to hear other thoughts on this.
  • nigelpm wrote: »
    ... 800Kw/h at a small premium (1p) to gas price (4p a Kw/h) for wear/tear of boiler gives (800*0.05) = £40 per annum.

I'd argue the life of these are probably 4-5 years max so anything over £200 is probably too much.

Just my opinion - happy to hear other thoughts on this.

Oh dear. My expectation was better, but no experience at yet. In three of the months when I use no central heating radiators, the water and a little gas cooking uses 650 kWh of gas in each month. My hope was that the iBoost output would cover most of that. We are heavy showers in the Sterling household.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure