MeandO's mortgage-free musings

Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FOUND IT!!! :j:rotfl:

I just found £15 in my purse that I didn't realise I had, so I've allocated £10 of that to the groceries budget on YNAB and paid off £10.07 to the mortgage (getting rid of that pesky 7p!).

So that's January's target reached, anything I can overpay now for the rest of the month will be a bonus. :T

Mortgage total: £78089
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Options
    Well done MeandO - sounds like you are doing well! Next target must be to get rid of that pesky £89 off the balance! Make sure when you sell the broken phone that it has any personal data wiped from it first - that is the thing that always puts me off selling old phones.
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • MeandO
    Options
    Thanks VDOT47, the £89 is definitely the next port of call, although I think it will have to wait until the main mortgage payment comes out now.
    I got home to leaking pipework around my boiler yesterday which I only had put in last year, :mad: so I have a plumber coming out today which will deplete my savings pot no doubt. :(
  • MeandO
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Had to pay £6 this morning to DS's school for 'fruit money'. I wouldn't mind, but I know he won't touch the fruit with a bargepole and never eats any of it...

I've had breakfast at my desk today and have brought lunch in again too to save the pennies. The thought to buy a nice breakfast out did cross my mind, but I don't want to part with the money in my purse and really didn't need it. I'm quite glad I've used up the vat of soup I made last week as I was getting fed up with it every lunchtime. As tasty as it was it will be nice to have something different today!

I got some nice YS sausages out of the freezer this morning to defrost for tonight. I have lots of onions from a sack I bought at costco for £2.50 last week, so I will cook some onions, garlic and mushrooms together and steam a bit of broccoli from the fridge to go with it. Yum!

A few more surveys completed this morning, the points are building up nicely and I'm still very close to the £5 payout on one, just willing a couple more surveys to come along. ;)

Annoyingly, I had a payment come out of the account that I wasn't expecting - it's a new life insurance/critical illness policy I took out in November and they've staggered the payments. Would have been nice to have been told though - I had to phone them a couple of days ago to say I still hadn't received the policy documents from them so they're going to 'resend' them... Anyway, I've transferred money from one of my other less important pots to cover it for now.
  • MeandO
    edited 12 January 2018 at 12:54PM
    Options
    I've been playing around with my various online savings 'pots' this morning to see if I can make things work better for me.

I have one account which I have been saving between £150 - £350 every month for the past few months. Although it's nice to see the balance build up, I have been dipping into this for everything that requires savings - the car, house, credit card :o and I don't think it's the best way to be working. This morning I have renamed a few of my online 'pots' and allocated monthly funds as such.

Savings: £150pm (I'd like to leave this untouched as my emergency fund).
    Car: £100pm (maintenance, tax, insurance, but not fuel)
    House projects: £75pm (lots needs doing!) :o
    Gifts: £50pm (Christmas & birthdays)
    Holidays: £25pm (not planning any this year, so this will be used for school hols etc)

Along with the bills, groceries, diesel, personal spends etc, this leaves round a £20 a month buffer which can be used to cover anything else that crops up or as an overpayment towards the mortgage. :)
    Roll on payday so that I can implement my plan!
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    I work my savings the way you are going to move to as I find it easier to know what each pot is for - if I had them all in one I would probably spend on all sorts of things and then when the car went wrong not have the money to cover it.

I use YNAB and you are supposed to keep all your money in one account but I cant do that at the moment as I dont trust myself.

I have loads of online savings accounts linked to my bank account, all with different names. No one usually sees them but me but I paid some Xmas money in the other week and the cashier said 'Wow you have loads of linked accounts;', I told her it was so I can keep track of everything and also I change the accounts when the interest drops and get another one and then wait a few months and get the old ones closed down. She must have thought I was mad!!!
  • MeandO
    Options
    Glad to hear it works for you too Eager_Elephant.
    I have dabbled in doing it this way before, but the money never really stayed in any of the accounts for long and topped up the main account when I overspent. Since using YNAB properly I am much more protective of my pennies, so tend not to overspend like I used to.

I wonder if the bank cashier has taken a leaf from your book now though and has lots of accounts of her own! :)
  • MeandO
    Options
    I've had a surprisingly rewarding weekend of getting things done in the house and feel really good about what I've achieved. :)

I removed the old tiles in my bathroom and re-tiled the remaining part that needed doing, managing to take all of the old tiles to the tip too. I filled walls that needed filling, removed the horrible electric towel rail and bathroom cabinet that has been there since I moved in; put up the new bathroom accessories and started to drill holes for the new mirror but need a new drill bit.
    I even managed to strip and re-make both beds, do 4 loads of washing, put up a blind in the spare room that had previously fallen down, attempt to put up the other one in the other spare room (but failed), and hoovered through the house. Twice.
    I even made sure I ate well, stuck within a daily calorie limit and felt pretty virtuous for doing so! :p A productive weekend...

Today a plumber is at my house, fixing a leak that was discovered on Friday :( (caused by the last plumber who did a cr&p job:mad:). He is also installing my new shower and replacing a rusty radiator for a really reasonable price.
    I also have ordered UPVC panels for the shower, rather than tiles. The plumber pointed out that it will be a lot harder remodelling the bathroom as planned than at first thought, so he has suggested I do things a different way which means I can do most of the work myself and save the need to have a builder in. I have been waiting for almost a year for a builder who promised to do the bathroom within a couple of months :mad: and had saved the £975 it would cost. If I do the work myself this way, I will save around £500. :j
    I'm up for that challenge!

The panels have cost me around £220 and the tiles and materials I needed this weekend cost me £23 after returning an item I no longer needed. The plumber is costing £180. Hopefully, the rest of the bits I need won't cost more than £50 and I'll have some new skills under my belt. ;)
    I had already bought some items for the original plan of work, but have listed these on gumtree to hopefully sell them for not much less than purchased.

I've just had an email to say my old mobile phone has been received by the company I sent it off to, I should hear today about the result of that and hopefully the £65 will be in my bank account very soon.

I purchased a few Christmas gifts on Saturday night (yes, Christmas! ;)). They were reduced from £25 to £10 each, so I purchased 3 which will mean 3 couples can be ticked off mine & OH's list and 2 more smaller gifts have been bought. One I will be giving to DS's Dad for Father's Day and one will be put away for OH's birthday. :) I've transferred the money from the savings pots to cover this.

I also received the £5 amazon reward ordered from surveys last week, so have credited that to my amazon account. Hopefully I'll earn another this week.

Ooh - just had someone ask to collect one of the bathroom items for sale, so that will be £35 coming my way, hopefully tonight. :)
  • MeandO
    Options
    Another £5 amazon voucher earned from surveys today :j
  • MeandO
    Options
    £35 received from yesterday's sale and a big space cleared in my spare room. :) I would have like to put that money in one of the savings pots, but will keep it in my purse for now to pick up a few bits of shopping that we need. Any left will hopefully go in the bank when I get a chance to pay it in.

I ordered DS something else to go towards his birthday last night - £14.99 reduced from £24.99 and something I know he'll love. :) Just need to pick that up when DS is at his Dad's later this week.

Tea last night was chicken noodles and I made double the portion so that I had a portion for lunch today. I've got tortellini out of the freezer for DS tonight and smoked haddock for myself and OH who is coming round for food. I'm still eating well and feeling much more positive for it. :)

The low fuel light came on in the car this morning so will definitely have to get fuel tonight. I usually fill the car up but wll only be putting £25 in tonight as that is pretty much all that will be left in the main account once everything else is accounted for! :o

Still no email about the phone trade in, will contact them today.

YNAB all up to date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business