Defaults? Can't pay or do an IVA? Help advice pls

Options
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice please.
I was left by my ex husband with massive debts, he's gone bankrupt so I'm stuck with em.
3 years ago I was in a terrible place, Id lost my home, job & husband & was pregnant, I got a new job but was bullied for being pregnant.

I was at rock bottom & being medicated just to drag myself out of bed
I've worked hard for my daughter & I. I got a new job & went back to uni to study a law degree. I took my ex employer to a tribunal & represented myself (& won!) and got us a nice new home (although rented)
Im currently doing a DMP making token payments through CCCS, I've 3 years left at uni & my daughter is only 2yrs old so I need to work part time & although I work hard to pay as much off my debts as possible there's still around 30k outstanding.
My defaults show as May 2011 & I'm desperate to be a home owner again one day.
Does anyone know if I continue paying & paying & saving & saving as I am doing for the next 3 years will the defaults come off my file?
As in will I have a chance then of getting a mortgage?

I'm hoping it will coincide with my finishing uni & my daughter starting school so I will be able to go back to work full time on a decent wage.
I've considered an IVA but if I want to be a solicitor it's a no go apparently :(

Any advice hugely appreciated.

PS anyone who thinks their life can't get any worse just look at me now :)
The good folk of MSE brought me back out fighting :T
Xxxx

Comments

• happy_bunny_2
    happy_bunny_2 Posts: 4,488 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Have all your accounts defaulted?

They fall off your report, paid or not, 6 years from the default date.

If any accounts show arrangement, they will stay with that flag for 6 years from paid off.

Once your credit file is clean, you have a decent salary etc, you have as much chance of a mortgage as anyone else. There are questions on the application forms about outstanding debt I think, so you would need to declare any accounts not yet paid. In reality, if it's not on your file, they would not know, but not declaring when asked would be fraud I suspect and not look good with your new career.

Good luck

HB
    :beer:
  • vicxzy
    vicxzy Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Hi happy bunny thanks for your reply.
    Yes they have all defaulted between April-June 2011.
    Do they really just disappear completely? Obv I would still declare them & be up front but what do they show as? X
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,941 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    vicxzy wrote: »
    Hi happy bunny thanks for your reply.
    Yes they have all defaulted between April-June 2011.
    Do they really just disappear completely? Obv I would still declare them & be up front but what do they show as? X

No need to declare anything to anybody, once they have left your credit file its like they never existed, they are gone, forever, most banks don't keep records longer than 6 years, they may appear in the "closed accounts" section of your file though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    Yes, it's like they were never there. Some banks keep their own records for longer. So if you default with say barclays, they may basically gave a flag never to lend to you again.

You just need to answer questions on the application form honestly.
  • vicxzy
    vicxzy Posts: 273 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Sourcrates & Happy bunny!
    If they show on he closed accounts won't this still go against me? Sorry for all the questions x
  • happy_bunny_2
    Options
    After 6 years, won't be visible on a credit search.

Closed accounts are ones that have defaulted or been paid.

Unless you know otherwise sourcrates?

HB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills