Bankruptcy court tomorrow.

Options
Taken the plunge and will be checking into the Bankruptcy Court Hotel in the morning. I have the paperwork mostly done, they said that I could leave the bits I am not sure about and they will go over it first with me. There is not a lot as the wonderful lady at debt advice foundation took all the costing details from me over the phone and sent an email with them in for me to print and attach. I have the £525 in cash as they only take cash and I don't have to pay more as I am now 70. (eeeek) Between them and this forum I feel relatively confident, but am dreading tomorrow, feeling terrified in fact.

Thank you to everyone who has posted about their own experience it has enabled me to go ahead.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• downhillfast
    Options
    You may be dreading tomorrow and not sleep much tonight... but tomorrow night you will have the best night's sleep you've had in a long time I'd guess! Good luck, it really isn't that bad :beer:
  • LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    Thank you downhillfast. I will look forward to tomorrow night when I will be able to eat and sleep.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety". - Benjamin Franklin
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi charybdis1

Just posting to say all the best for tomorrow from us here at NDL. The hearing is usually a fairly short and sweet affair, and it's just a bit of admin more than anything, so I hope you don't find it too trying.

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Tetle
    Tetle Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Good luck - I was in last week and it was over in less than 10 mins. The judge was lovely!
  • downhillfast
    Options
    Good luck for today :)
  • LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    Done! It was fine, they have between 10am and 11am every workday at the court where you can go without an appointment. I rang yesterday so the lady I spoke to was expecting me and dealt with my paperwork, took my money and presented it to the judge. I waited half an hour and she came back and told me it was granted and another 15 mins for her to do the paperwork and now I just have to wait for the OR to ring me. She said this afternoon or tomorrow. Amazing!!
    I now realise the importance of having something to show that you have had debt counselling but I feel so relieved especially as it does not involve my rent or utilities and I have no credit cards so it will be relatively simple with the OR, at least that is what I am now telling myself as he is suddenly the scary monster and I suppose there are hurdles to cross, I really did not think beyond this point. More reading up to do...

Thank you so very much everyone who has helped with your stories and support, thank you seems so inadequate somehow.
  • Whacker
    Options
    I was in last week too, it only took 10 mins as well, mine wasn't voluntary although had no choice to accept it.

I was surprised afterwards though to be called for interview instead of the telephone interview you read about. I'm guessing it's because I had no info at the court of my details. Next nervous stage to come now.
  • LoveLifeAgain
    LoveLifeAgain Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 April 2015 at 2:19PM
    Options
    I have heard from the OR this morning and he thinks it will possibly be a telephone meeting next week but he won't know until he gets paperwork back. Told me he will be sending papers that need filling out and answered some questions I had.
    He will be letting the Council know about the bankruptcy, suppose he has to but as my rent has always been up to date I am a bit worried. He said they they "probably" won't evict me, but as the council is trying to get people out to sell off their properties I am very worried, have been here over 20 years. The other thing is that I have my letter from the Post Office, just waiting for the pin number to be able to get my pension paid in.
    I have an appointment with Barclays on Thursday.
    Just wondering what other people's experience is because if Barclays do not offer more than the Post Office I don't see what benefit it would be and also how long would it be if they said yes before I would be able to get the account details and use it. My pension is going into my old account which even the OR said they will close (NatWest).
    The OR also said they "probably" won't take any money from my pension (just a state pension) and I have been reading that they usually don't but the wording used officially is may not take, not that they can't take. I have no other monies in other than pension credit. I know I am panicking again and each case if different but what do you think?
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you are a Council or Social Housing tenant you will not be evicted because of BR. Even private tenants are rarely evicted unless there is a large rent arrears or other tenancy breaches.
    Barclays will open you an account but it will depend on what sort of account you have at the Post Office as to whether it will be left open.
    If your only income is a state pension an IPA is highly unlikely.
    I hope you are feeling a bit lighter now that the court is over :)
  • LoveLifeAgain
    Options
    Thank you Gardener. Yes, I am feeling a lot lighter getting the BR and so relieved it went off so well and easily. It went 'as described' here. :)
    Seems though, that when one major hurdle is jumped the others start to loom and my tenancy, though not in arrears or in breach of anything I have my settings to worry.
    I don't have an account at the Post Office yet, just have the necessary letter and waiting for the pin. I will not open it until I have gone to Barclays and find out if that is a better option instead. My only concern is that Barclays will delay opening one whilst my money is going into the account I cannot use, I am going to need an account soon to pay the rent which I am never in arrears with and don't intend starting now, so if they take too long I will just go ahead with the Post Office and forget Barclays I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Barclays and the time it takes to get an account set up for use if they accept you.

Excellent advice and hearing the personal journeys is a mine of help and information. Thank you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure