A new debt free journey

Options

Comments

• lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks stiltoncheese, I read your diary last night as it happens! When you've done the hard slog once before it's so much more frustrating to get back in debt! :mad:

Still, I found £35 in my old dusty moneybox and have added that to some money I'd already set aside to make £60, which is 5% of what I owe my parents, so I'm going to pay it to them tomorrow :j
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • lcc86
    Options
    Good and bad day today. I paid my mum and dad an extra £60, however I forgot I had TV License to pay this month! Luckily it's just for a quarter so my work expenses can cover it, but that's less money towards my debt. I'll also be having a vet bill tomorrow, but this will come out of my emergency fund whereas in thr past I'd put it on credit card!

On the plus side I heard there may be a promotion going at work soon so fingers crossed!!!
  • stiltoncheese
    Options
    Fingers crossed the promotion prospects pan out for you :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
  • lcc86
    Options
    I just ordered a copy of my credit report from Experian. Now that I've changed a few things financially and consolidated my debts I want to ensure it's accurate. I'd like to move next year so the sooner I check it the better. I plan on ordering it every 6 months or so to track my progress.

On another note, I'm £7 shy of 2% of my total debt paid yay!
  • lcc86
    Options
    Had a £40 vet bill yesterday, but managed to save £20 today om a scheduled lunch date that cost less than I thought, so put that towards the bill and the rest came from my £300 pot of emergency savings. Will probably have to go back again but fingers crossed not too soon.

Put a spare £4 from my fuel budget into savings so now just need to find £3 to have another %, and I'm sure I can find that somewhere!! :D
  • lcc86
    Options
    This last week I've managed to sell a few things on Amazon totalling £20. It's not much but it all helps. I've also been paid £100 by Halifax for switching bank accounts - all credit to them, they did it so quickly and with no hassle whatsoever, very happy.

I had another vet bill so a part of that money will pay for that, but on the plus side, I now have an extra 2% to pay off my loan. Just need to find the phone number to call them and pay :j
  • stiltoncheese
    Options
    Well done on the Amazon sales. I've just relisted a load of things to sell and whilst it's a pain to do, all these small amounts soon add up and it gets rid of junk and clutter too. Great news on paying another 2% too. It always seems small amounts at the time, but like the sales, they soon add up :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]D[FONT=&quot]ebt free since May 2015[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]
  • Aphidgirl
    Options
    Hi Icc86,

Good luck with the 1% challenge. I'm around £4600 in debt and hoping to clear it all by Sept-Oct 2015.

I went to Glastonbury last year and it was awesome so I think you should still go. It'll give you something to look forward to next summer and will help keep you feeling positive hopefully. Just start saving for it asap, don't try and save and then end up spending all your savings each month like I did :)
    Starting 2016 debt-free :D
    Emergency Fund: £350/£1000
  • lcc86
    Options
    The last week has been a real challenge. Just as I thought I'd made some headway I worked out my car is due a service in the next two months, so that money I'd originally set aside for extra loan repayments can't be put towards that at all. :(

Really feeling down about my whole financial situation to be honest. Although I got the job I wanted it's set me back 2 years in having to get back in debt to buy a decent economical car.

I don't have much more I can sell apart from what I've listed on Amazon already. I spent the last two years selling everything unnecessary, spending nothing, declining every social event all for the sake of a better future. And now I'm right back where I started. I'm under 30 and have given up two years of my life to be debt free, and it gets me so down to be in that situation yet again. I live alone so don't have anyone else to split costs with like a lot of people. I can pay my bils and my debts every month. But I don't know right now if I can face giving up another two years of my life. I have grand ideas of being debt free but the reality is it may take longer than I thought. I want to be able to enjoy my life before settling down to family living in the not too distant future.

It's a tricky situation. Little things like forgetting your car needs a service have a knock on effect I.e. Not being able to save for the rest of my Glastonbury ticket in time. I could fall back on the old ways of putting it on credit card, but that will have a further knock on effect to other, much more important things like the ability to save for car insurance!

The important thing is I'm determined not to spend money I don't have any more. I'm committed to that, regardless of how long it takes to become debt free. :)
  • lcc86
    Options
    Bought some shelving this week that I really needed. I also need a table of some description as I've spent the last 3 years eating every meal off my lap. Seems ridiculous that I didn't put any money aside in that time to buy one but hey ho....

Opened a fixed term savings account with a standing order for £25 a month. Not sure what I'm saving for but I'm fed up of never having any savings so wanted to do something about it. I'm going to try and pay a little extra off my debt but I still don't feel particularly positive about it so I'm going to stop worrying over the Christmas period. Knowing me I'll find some energy to start again in a few weeks but just feel really demotivated about it right now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport