State pension age rise

Options
saverbuyer
saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
So any 39 - 47 year olds out there affected by the announcement that their state pension age will increase to 68?

Mrs May wanted to remove the triple lock. The DUP insisted it was kept as part of their supply and confidence deal. Seems like the anyone under 47 is going to pay for preserving the triple lock now.

I don't expect to see a state pension. I doubt many of my generation will. Guess it's time to save more money and increase my SIPP contributions.

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd say 68 is only what it looks like it's going to be. Who knows what they'll be planning on in another few years?
    Japan is apparently suggesting 75 as a retirement age, although they do live longer than us (and everyone else).
    I wonder when the effects of unhealthy lifestyles found in the young are going to start impacting on life expectancy, though. Diabetes, hypertension and then kidney disease and strokes ought to start appearing in the young obese.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    I'd say 68 is only what it looks like it's going to be. Who knows what they'll be planning on in another few years?
    Japan is apparently suggesting 75 as a retirement age, although they do live longer than us (and everyone else).
    I wonder when the effects of unhealthy lifestyles found in the young are going to start impacting on life expectancy, though. Diabetes, hypertension and then kidney disease and strokes ought to start appearing in the young obese.

Indeed. Will the leveling off in the average life expectancy trend become a fall? Scary situation. Student debt that will never be paid off and pension that will never be claimed. All the while paying nearly 26% national insurance contributions (Employer and employee). I'm baffled the young aren't protesting.
  • Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    Indeed. Will the leveling off in the average life expectancy trend become a fall? Scary situation. Student debt that will never be paid off and pension that will never be claimed. All the while paying nearly 26% national insurance contributions (Employer and employee). I'm baffled the young aren't protesting.

Young people don't think they'll be old
  • qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    Young people don't think they'll be old

It would seem plenty of them may well turn out to be right.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport