PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    karcher wrote: »
    caron It might be an idea to PM a BG to close/lock the old thread....just in case ;).

I too don't buy the auto deletion thing, but that's just my [STRIKE]cynical[/STRIKE] questioning nature coming in to play :o:p
    Thanks didn't know you could:A
  • SquirrelSmall
    Options
    In the spirit of introductions and new posters. Hello!

I live on a boat in London - with two adorable/infuriating (in equal measures) felines.

Whilst I mainly CFO, I often feed others on the pontoon who are less culinarily able.

So. Tonight was Thai green chicken curry with rice. Just enough left over in to go in a Tupperware for work tomorrow. And now munching some cream crackers with butter, because that's luxury in my world.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In the spirit of introductions and new posters. Hello!

I live on a boat in London - with two adorable/infuriating (in equal measures) felines.

Whilst I mainly CFO, I often feed others on the pontoon who are less culinarily able.

So. Tonight was Thai green chicken curry with rice. Just enough left over in to go in a Tupperware for work tomorrow. And now munching some cream crackers with butter, because that's luxury in my world.
    Welcome SquirrelSmall must be fab to live on a houseboat with or without feline friends. Crackers and butter are definitely one of life's simple pleasures :D
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello :hello: and welcome to SquirrelSmall and Monnagran

SquirrelSmall It's nice of you to feed others. I notice that you are making good use of your leftovers by having them for lunch the next day. I wish I could do that, but for some reason I can eat the same meal two or three days running, but not in the evening as dinner and then again as lunch the next day. A bit strange I know :D

Monnagran That's a big life change that you are going through, a whole new chapter. I'm sure that being on your own after all those years will take some adapting to, and be a fairly steep learning curve in a number of areas as well as CFO. I hope that you adapt to your new lifestyle quickly. I find that CFO on a budget can be quite difficult but I am reading a lot on here about how others do it and have learnt a lot.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone now that I've found the new thread ;)

Welcome to Monnagran and SquirrelSmall - there are lots of tips and advice to be picked up on here :)

Work again today for me so a packed lunch of peanut butter and banana sandwich, a yoghurt and fruit. Tea this evening is smoked haddock, new potatoes, baked tomatoes and green beans. I'll deliberately cook extra new potatoes as I am making a frittata for tomorrow night.

Good news so far on the cat front after her prolapse surgery. She had her stitches removed yesterday afternoon and answered a call of nature (shall we say!) and everything stayed where it was meant to thankfully. She hadn't answered that particular call of nature for a week so I was somewhat apprehensive. At nearly 14 she's proving to be a bit of a fighter. On the dog taking tablets front I must have been lucky as all of my dogs have always just woofed anything off with whatever hidden inside it! I have always had Labradors or Beagles though and both breeds are known for their love of food haha.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I had scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast this morning, I seem to have a lot of eggs at the moment. I think it is where I have been having the Greek yoghurt more than eggs for breakfast and didn't adjust my shopping accordingly.

Lunch is a cheese salad sandwich and a hard boiled egg (to use up one more egg) which I am about to take to the park with a book to sit in the sun and people watch for a couple of hours as the weather is so nice.

Dinner will be some oven baked haddock. I'm going to bake it in tinned tomatoes, some herbs, red and green peppers and melt some cheese over it, and have it with a salad. Just need to see what needs using up to make a dressing. I know that there is half a lemon lurking in the fridge so that will feature.

I have been planning to do some batch cooking so that I have got some 'ready meals' but haven't done it yet because I thought I would prefer to make the most of the weather. If I do it tomorrow I will be able to use up the left over tinned tomatoes then, or may use them on toast for breakfast tomorrow.

If I want pudding I will have some cake.
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Yesterday's dinner was 'left over' sweet and sour vegetables and veggie onigiri.
    OHs cooking for one was macaroni and cheese, out of a tin, with toast.
    That as always pretty much sums up the difference in eating habits we have and how even as a couple we've fallen into the cooking for one camp despite being a couple.

Today dinner is likely to be vegetable curry for me. I have a third of a jar of sweet and sour sauce but I'll use that tomorrow or Thursday.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today was a "random new buy" item selected from the highly regarded 4ldi freezers ... :)

Lamb burger. VERY tasty.

Served it with chips.

It had a slightly minty taste - just enough.

Topped with a blob of jalapeno relish because .... when you CFO you can't have "everything that matches" to hand - and I have a rule of only having a MAX of 1-2 jars of products open at a time, so only had two chutneys/relishes to choose from. They are both jars I was "gifted" by a sibling who over-buys then doesn't get through stuff or fancy it in time before sibling decides it's been kicking around long enough. I brought these home from a visit over a year ago.

I do like it when food tastes nice.... but then you want to rush off and do it all again, which is a bad thing really :)

3 more in the box to enjoy at random future dates! Although nearly out of chips now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Lunch today was a tryout recipe - of vegan equivalent of tuna sandwich filler (canned chickpeas/celery/carrot/red onion/parsley/lemon juice) just eaten "as is" and with the rest of the "cashew cheese" I made yesterday (those infamous singles repeat foods again...).

Also yet more plums, some melon and a glass of rice milk.

It was nice:)

Now trying to decide what to do with yet more of the infamous singles repeat foods - as I've got two of those large flat mushrooms left (having had to buy a pack of them to get the one I actually wanted).

So - suitable healthy suggestions (and without using meat/fish) gratefully received as to what to do with them for dinner tonight:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,299 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi & welcome to Monnagran and SquirrelSmal, you'll find us very mixed bunch on here but lots of useful stuff. For instance I now eat cold pizza for breakfast sometime, and Monnogran, a good addition to any CFO spice rack is Brown, Worcester sauce and Balsamic vinegar ;)

Yesterday's runner bean / tom meal was tasty, I added LO half tub of soft cheese in which made it nice & creamy

Then I think I made a big mistake, I ate my ripe fig off the tree. Oh and twwo slices of marmalade later

I spent the night in agony with my tum :(, still aching now so just having water only today, luckily I have some of the little bottles left over from last week's trip. Nothing wrong with tap water but drinking the small bottles is handy & clears out the fridge at least

Today so far is slumping about and feeling sorry for myself, can't even rustle up enough "go" to read a book

Hopefully back to normal tomorrow, looking on the bright side, no need to think about what to eat today
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure