Friday 24 October - What small DFW things will you do today?

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym .

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

Comments

• ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people. Dont forget we also have a small things on Facebook, if anyone wishes to join

Today I will be finishing off some really basic crafting (was given some fancy jars which I'll be filling with bird seed for part of our gifts to family, I then found some blackboard labels in my stash - result they look really posh now):

Bake -Given up on this we dont need it and we're all made up with shocking colds again so dont fancy anything
    Check Banks -
    Check swapits -
    Packed lunch for DH - Done
    Craft -
    Enter a few comps -
    Sort emails (& unsubscribe where possible) -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Read book (from stash) - (Another win & another new author - The Strange Death of Fiona Griffiths - Harry Bingham)
    Check https://www.freepostcodelottery.com - Remember there are now 3 chances to win on there :D

Right, off to sieze the day

Have a great day, love to you all

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2014 at 7:41PM
    Options
    Morning all :)

Thanks for starting the thread Ziggy. Hope your cold gets better soon :(

I love blackboard labels! I use them on the vintage storage canisters etc in my larder - I have various different sorts (all from charity shops and boot sales), and the labels sort of pull the look together (seems a bit weird perhaps to bother about what things look like in the larder as after all you shut the door on it, but I do like things to look nice :o)

For me today:
    Check banks Done

Send another invoice for OH to a non-paying customer :( He has a small craft business, and only very rarely has problems but if he does it is always with people who can very easily afford it :mad: Haven't got to this - I will do it in a minute

Take some items to my sales unit and tidy up if needed Done, several items sold :D

Attend an auction viewing, I need a bit more stock to take me over the Christmas period, so will look at a couple of auctions over the next few weeks. I will only buy if the price is right though! Done, I will watch the auction online tomorrow, and only buy of the price is right

Washing on line to dry No, it rained :(

Cook and freeze more beetroot Not got to this :(

Should be a NSD Yes, nothing spent. Will spend tomorrow though as I have been saving up for some fruit trees for my garden

HM food from stores - I will make macaroni cheese with cauliflower today :)Done

Should do some housework :eek: Done a bit of cleaning upstairs

A bit lazy today :o

Hope everyone has a nice day :)
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi All

The grand pay day arriveth! First job was to trim some more fat off the credit cards. I am a whole £1 under £3k on one now. That is good!

It makes me think though as to why I have these plastic fiends following me around. I think one is still from when we were doing up a house & used it to pay for work to be done. But its been balance transferred around so much since I forget.
    The other one, was going down nicely, think was at around £1800 then we remortgaged in the summer to get a better deal (£300 less per month) & that cost us £1000 so that one Im not less worried about, but at least I know its done us good in the long run. Still. They both annoy me and need to be gone soon.

I signed up for the grocery challenge this month. I've thrown my hat in with £215 which would be £7 shaved off from this month, or £55 from the month before. Lets see. Interestingly if you look at what people are putting down, I'd say low £200s are about the average, with some a lot higher say £400 ish and some insanely low £85. But the £85 person says they have a lot in the freezer to use up whereas I run us into the ground every month then start over.

Paid off a couple of old bills that had been lingering for my business, my poor account looks so bare now. I desperately need a boost soon.

Had a very bad nights sleep, think money worries & a cup of tea at 10pm didnt help so feeling quite low & knackered today. Off to lounge on the sofa...

Good day all!

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. Changed bed linen and dusted/vacuumed bedroom
    3. Sorted through household duvets and sheets, sorted into charity shop and local dog rescue piles.
    4. Make shortbread biscuits (recipe from thrifty ways book)
    5. Surveys
    6. Free postcode lottery
    7. NSD

Hope everyone had a fab day:)
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good Morning,

Ziggy, I hope you all feel better soon.

Dawn, grrr to the non payers. The blackboard labels sound lovely, if and when we get settled into our new home I will investigate chalkboard labels

Bob, sorry you are feeling down. Hope you feel better soon. I will see you over on the grocery challenge. Some people do so well with stretching their money, I wish I could get to an aldi or lidl but with my fibromyalgia and not being able to drive I have to manage with home delivery supermarkets.

Anyway, plans for today are:
    Housework as have two viewings lined up for Monday.
    Leftover dinner from Wednesday tonight so nice and easy.
    That is it!

Take care all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • Ratison
    Ratison Posts: 263 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Continuing the blackboard theme, I love the idea of a chalkboard wall in my kitchen, but that's way down on the list of priorities!

Today is going to be a NSD today. There's a buffet for someone leaving at work, so that's lunch sorted, then I have some stuff in the freezer and cupboards to get through - I'm thinking prawns with coconut cream and tomato relish again, with spinach and rice. And I fully intend to have a lazy night in the house all by myself!

I'm away at the weekend, so will be a pricey one but I've budgeted for it given that it falls just before pay day. I booked the hotel a while ago, and my friend owes me for her half, so that will be my spends. A couple of cheques I cashed last week clear today, so I can put that money towards a wedding gift (cash I think - but grr!).

Payday is Tuesday, and it's going to be a fairly tight month for me, as I have a salary sacrifice starting this month (new car - don't judge me, it was a really good deal and is needed for work), and don't get my payrise until end of November pay. So I'm budgeting £150 a week for petrol, food, and other stuff. Will have to start getting some Christmas presents sorted too. I can do it!
  • ott09
    ott09 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Morning,

Thanks to those who responded re the baby led weaning and thank you for the offering of advice/help. (Bobarella) I may need it. Seems as though it is actually quite the norm these days- makes so much sense and is easier in the long run.

Dawn, that is so bizarre- I will be going back to work 3 days a week and husband is also self employed- you sure you aren't my Mum??!! Haha. I have also started chasing a long overdue payment- and again one of my husband's customers who SO can afford it. He has had several emails and ignored them- when he wanted work done he was in contact non stop, funny how he has gone quiet now! What makes me mad is that husband was doing the work while I was in hospital having bubs so he wasn't able to be around as much. I am in process of chasing money- little !!!!!! will not get away with it.

Yesterday was not a NSD although I'd hoped it might be- went to see Nan with baby- she loves seeing him. On way home went to shops and spent about £75 but stocked up on formula and also bought chap some clothes- only from Asda mind so nothing special.

So, today:
    Lunch will be leftover dinner from yesterday
    Made hubby's sandwiches
    Long walk with dog- free exercise
    Surveys if I can
    Washing on line if it stays dry
    NSD- I hope

Happy Friday all
    October NSD challenge 7/10:o
    November NSD challenge 3/10 so far

SPC # 413 (but waiting until next year for grand opening!)
    :beer:
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    peony40 wrote: »
    Bob, sorry you are feeling down. Hope you feel better soon. I will see you over on the grocery challenge. Some people do so well with stretching their money, I wish I could get to an aldi or lidl but with my fibromyalgia and not being able to drive I have to manage with home delivery supermarkets.
    Take care all.

Hi Peony
    Cool we can cheer each other on! I know what you mean, where I live now we are walking distance to a Tesco metro which is expensive at full price but provides a constant source of deep discounted bread (22p a loaf after about 8pm) & other yellow label goodies, & an enormous Sainsburys which has all the super cheap value items I buy these days but doesnt seem to have great discounts or if they do its such a warehouse I havent cracked where they are yet!
    There is a Lidl but now Im without a car & pay as I go on the buses, I worry that I wouldnt save anything because I am so frugal anyway with what I do buy from the big supermarkets. Sorry to hear you struggle to get out anyway, that must not be much fun.

Ratison wrote: »
    Continuing the blackboard theme, I love the idea of a chalkboard wall in my kitchen, but that's way down on the list of priorities!

We had an entire wall painted with blackboard paint in our old house, it was really fun for just scribbling stuff on. Its a shame that we dont live closer by as I still have a tin of the paint in my cupboard that wont get used by us now.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • ott09
    ott09 Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    Wanted to say thanks also to Getting Organised as you offered advice re BLW too, just had a look back at previous thread. May well be after help soon.
    October NSD challenge 7/10:o
    November NSD challenge 3/10 so far

SPC # 413 (but waiting until next year for grand opening!)
    :beer:
  • Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    Hi!

This is my first time here, but I really need to get myself sorted out, so I'm looking at what other people are doing to get ideas!

Today I'm travelling all afternoon so I'm going to make sure I have lunch before I go to avoid McD's on the way! Also I will:
    Enter some competitions
    Do a couple of surveys
    Get some work done on my Christmas presents (I'm handmaking as much as I can :j )

That's all I can think of to do...

Pink x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family