PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

lunch ideas for my trucker fella.

i am trying to get my fella to stop eating at the garages as its costing us a small fortune not to mention his health (major heart problems in his family)

any ideas for lunches??? he doesnt eat pasta and he doesnt stop for long so has to be a grab and run sort of thing. think i have done sandwiches to death and is on pies at the mo but again not very good for him. he does eat plenty of fruit but needs something that is filling.

not sure if he would be able to use the garages microwave to heat stuff up, but dont actually want him near temptation!!!

need ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks in advance,
love rags
xxxxxxxxx
December 2018: £20,850.24. Now: £18,333.02 Total paid in 2019: £2517.22

Weight loss: 1.5lbs

Comments

• thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    What about calzones? They're pizzas that have been folded over like a pasty so the filling is on the inside. You could use a standard recipe for pizza dough or a mix. Fill with pizza sauce, salami, cheese, roast veggies, olives etc.
  • At the moment soups spring to mind? You could pack up in vacum flask and perhaps make some simple bread to go with it? That way shove some healthy veggies down him? Make a big 'hearty' soup?
    I know chaps don't do quiches : ) so how about some HM flans? You could cut up some veggies/apples etc to go with it - a wordorth salad?? (sorry spelling head not working at the mo)...
    Also HM pizza (sometimes better cold - but maybe not today)...so easy..put some healthy toppings on - low fat mozarella etc?
    best wishes
  • jomo70
    jomo70 Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What about cous cous with roasted vegtables mixed in, Fritata (SP), soup in a flask, filled wrap, ......erm......
  • mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    would something like chilli keep ok in a thermos?
  • forgot to say that he cant eat cheese as it makes him sick.

great ideas so far, thank you, have made a note of suggestions.

for the soup, would it cook if i chopped veggies small and put into flask and covered with boiling stock?? maybe the night before??

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You can get food flasks, which have a wider mouth than a standard flask. You use the flask as the bowl and eat straight out of it. You can also get rough/rugged/tough ones (not GAI!). I picked one up for about £3-5 from Aldi last year.

You can bake potatoes and drop those in chopped up with the filling of your choice; curries; chilli; sausages.
  • im having similar issues with my hubby (enforced diet due to hereditary heart stuff) anyway hes been doing the healthy thing about 8 months and heres a fave lunch that i batch make
    fry onions and garlic for 5 mins add any veg cubed inc potatoes wallop some curry powder in a tin of chopped toms then fill empty can with water and add that simmer for 45 mins =veg curry freeze and use it when ever OR blend then its spicy veg soup wack in a flask sorted my fella has it with crackerbreads (lower fat than bread). what about bolognese with brown rice you could cook that mix it and flask it.
    hth
    kate
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    for the soup, would it cook if i chopped veggies small and put into flask and covered with boiling stock?? maybe the night before??

Probably best if you make the soup on the hob and then transfer it into the flask when it's cooked and heated through.

Is it daily trips that your OH does?

what about salad boxes when the weather gets a wee bit warmer? Salad leaves, cold meat, hard boiled egg, homemade coleslaw, tomatoes, peppers, spring onion, etc etc

You can buy insulated bags from Lakeland and other places that you can put cool packs into, so that the sandwiches/salad etc doesn't get too warm in the summer months. Thinking ahead a wee bit :cool: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • he starts at 3am and finishes about 4pm, so at least i know he is getting at least one proper meal!!!

thanks everyone for the ideas, think i will just put them in to action rather than running it past him first!!!

• like previously said you can get food flasks, you could store,
    bolognese
    chilli
    casserole
    soup
    potato hash
    curry
    rissotto
    plus others x
    :xmastree::xmassign::rudolf::xmastree: