Aldi now selling wine online with free delivery

Options
xeonander
xeonander Posts: 13 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 20 January 2016 at 2:44PM in It's gone, but was it any good?
I was just about to browse the new special buys on Aldi's website and couldn't help but notice the new design and new pages to nose through. Looks like they're selling all their fancy wines by the case online and even free delivery, hopefully see more things online soon this is great!

Does seem a bit odd that a discounter is doing this though, what are the chances that Lidl will follow suit quite soon?

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 19 Jan: Standard delivery is normally £3. Aldi has told us there's no end date at present for the free delivery offer. Aldi currently has wines by the case starting at £21 for six bottles and a six case of champagne for £66 (£10.99 per bottle).

Big thanks to xeonander for the original spot!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The free delivery is described as a "launch offer", though I cannot see how long they are offering it for. In the Help it says Standard delivery is £3
  • productspy
    Options
    Lets hope they branch out and start doing grocery home delivery! Going to Aldi is such a task it is always so busy!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2016 at 2:02PM
    Options
    productspy wrote: »
    Lets hope they branch out and start doing grocery home delivery! Going to Aldi is such a task it is always so busy!

I hope they don't!! Prices would have to drastically increase for that to happen so will no longer be as competitive as the others. I'd rather make the 30 mile round trip to shop in store myself, thank you very much!

And imagine how much busier it would become if home shoppers started to clog up the aisles with trolleys! Nightmare! It's never gonna happen. There's a reason why Aldi works as well as it does. Don't change it!

Boxed wine and none-grocery items can be selected and shipped direct from the warehouse so no impact on other shoppers.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I hope they don't!! Prices would have to drastically increase for that to happen so will no longer be as competitive as the others. I'd rather make the 30 mile round trip to shop in store myself, thank you very much!

And imagine how much busier it would become if home shoppers started to clog up the aisles with trolleys! Nightmare! It's never gonna happen. There's a reason why Aldi works as well as it does. Don't change it!

Boxed wine and none-grocery items can be selected and shipped direct from the warehouse so no impact on other shoppers.

Looks like wine and then non food special buys, see the post above yours.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • xeonander
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »

What about the prices of the wine they've just started selling online? They look to be the same price as in store with free delivery, will we see price rises there as it can't be making them any profit, surely?
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    xeonander wrote: »
    What about the prices of the wine they've just started selling online? They look to be the same price as in store with free delivery, will we see price rises there as it can't be making them any profit, surely?

Picking and shipping individual cases of wine is VERY different and much cheaper than picking and shipping a grocery basket of a wide variety of different products ( and the free delivery is a limited launch offer )
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    Options
    xeonander wrote: »

The free delivery is a limited promotional offer and will soon revert to standard, next day and named day delivery fees, starting from £4.00.
  • xeonander
    Options
    Ah I missed that, glad to see the cost of my wine shouldn't be going up when I go shopping then. :-)
  • bugbog
    bugbog Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I saw this post last night, ordered 2 cases about 5 pm, and they were delivered by 9am this morning! Parcel force, so received emails and texts confirming delivery day and even a 1 hour slot. Just ordered the same type that I buy in store, seemed to be the same prices. Have to say I've been impressed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure