reading over 4kw???

Options
Afternoon all just wanted to get some feedback on my 4kw solar system displaying reading of generation above 4kw up to 4.28kw all be it not for very long.why would this be.

Thanks.

Comments

• Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're asking why for not very long, it's because panels cool after sustained shade (so more efficient). Full sunshine heats them quite quickly though. If you're asking why it exceeds the kWp, I don't really know, although I had bursts of up to 5300W in my first year; don't think I'll ever see that again! Does anybody know what happens to this excess production?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,622 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've also had over the 3kWp that my panels are rated at. Not lot over, probably around 3010kW. It seems to happen when the sun comes out from a cloud so the panels are initially cool. I guess it is due to the rating as panels are given a nominal output at a certain temperature. If it is lower than that the output will increase. It is probably capped by the inverter capacity though.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

It's a combination of the panels being a little cooler after being in the shade, the current ambient temperatures and 'cloud edge' effect ....

The panels are rated at a standard 1000W/sqm which is what would be expected in clear sky conditions. However, when cloud clears and the panels enter full sunlight there will be a period when the edge of the cloud will also reflect & refract light - this has the effect of boosting the irradiation on the panels beyond the nominal level, thus temporarily increasing the generation .... this is usually referred to as 'cloud edge'.

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport