PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dried beans - how long can you store for?

Options
Have found a large jar of dried butter beans (bought 2007) in my cupboard and a large jar of cannellini beans (same age). Are they still worth soaking and cooking or will they be well past their best? Am never sure how long dried pulses can be stored for before they become unpalatable when cooked.
I usually pressure cook them and wonder if some other way of cooking them might lessen the ageing effect.

Comments

• BitterAndTwisted
    Options
    I'd give it a go. I've cooked dried beans well past their "best before" date but not quite that old. I'd expect to cook them a fair while longer to be tender but they're unlikely to be unpalatable.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Give them a long soak in cold water first.

They should be O K.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Butterfly_Brain
    Options
    Should be fine, just soak and cook a bit longer than usual, but do not add salt until after cooking, this can make them go tough
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Should be fine, just soak and cook a bit longer than usual, but do not add salt until after cooking, this can make them go tough

What she/he said :)
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I soaked them for 24 hours then boiled them for an hour and a quarter. They tasted like raw potatoes and not at all like the floury texture of the tinned ones, so I,m putting that exercise down as a bit of a failure. Is there any special trick in getting them nice and floury so they sop up sauces in soups or casseroles?
  • hilstep2000
    hilstep2000 Posts: 3,089 Forumite
    Options
    They tend to get hard if kept too long. I tend to use tinned I'm afraid(Can't be fafing about with soaking) Not very OS but at least you can use them!
    I Believe in saving money!!!:T
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    soaking for 24 hours and cooking in a pressure cooker gives as good a result as tinned beans
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure