Old Debt with Santander

Options
Hi

I have an old debt on my credit file from a current account with Santander from 2012. Its approximately £600 I really want to clean up my credit score as I want to buy a house but I'm not sure who I contact to clear the debt and make sure it is update on my credit file.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,879 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Who is marked as the creditor on your credit file, is it still Santander ?

If yes, there's your answer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Francine10 and welcome to MSE,

Sourcrates is right, if you have lost track of a debt, the best place to start is to check your credit files to see who has recorded the debt. It is possible that Santander has marked it as 'settled' because they have sold it on and then it may appear under a debt collection agencies name with a balance owing. There are 3 credit agencies, so it may be worth checking all 3 if it isn't showing on one or more.

Once you know who it chasing the debt, write to them, confirm the balance owing and make the payment. Ask them to confirm they will update the file and mark it with zero owing (which they should do anyway). The debt should then appear as 'settled/satisfied' with a zero balance, permanently, which is more positive to your rating than an outstanding default. The debt will appear on your file for 6 years from the date of default.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • francine10
    Options
    Great I'll check there.

Thank you for your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business