Mortgage after Bankruptcy

Options
Hi all

This is my first post on the forum so apologise if my questions gave already been answered but was hoping for some guidance/advice.

Unfortunately following a relationship breakup, I was declared bankrupt in April 2010. My ex moved out leaving me to pay the bills and mortgage.

The house was finally repossessed by NRAM in July 2012 after the OR determined they had no interest in the property due to negative equity. It was finally sold with £65k owing which NRAM continued to chase me for.

Fast forward 7 years, I am now looking to obtain a new mortgage with my new partner, the bankruptcy is no longer on my experience credit file and no debt at all. However, the repossession is showing and will not drop off until July 18. Credit score is Fair 791.

From reading the forum and other research, I believe that the shortfall and repossession should have been included within the bankruptcy and NRAM or Landmark as they are now should have removed this from my credit file. Would this be correct?

We have applied and been offered a mortgage but at terms of 6.1% despite a 25% deposit. If NRAM have to removed (or are forced to remove via Financial Ombudsman), would this have a positive or negative impact on my credit rather and ability to obtain the mortgage? The length of credit agreement seems to be a positive on the credit file?

I hope this makes sense and explains the facts. Any assistance or advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm astonished the lender was chasing you for the shortfall even though you were bankrupt. Have you asked them to explain?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • ChrisHoll
    Options
    They were really unhelpful and despite numerous calls to advise of the bankruptcy, they kept calling and sending letters.

Should they have to remove from my credit file? Does it matter that the debt has passed fro NRAM to Landmark?
  • GDB2222
    Options
    Make a formal complaint, and go to the Financial Ombudsman if necessary. You are entitled to an answer, and it looks like harassment.

They had the right to repossess the house much sooner than they did. How come they left you in place until 2012? By that time, had you been discharged from bankruptcy?
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    A popular NRAM product was the together mortgage, that was part mortgage and part unsecured loan. The unsecured loan would have fallen straight into the bankruptcy - other than NRAM retained the right to secure the loan on the property if you defaulted.

Either way the shortfall on the mortgage should have fallen into the bankruptpcy unless you signed anything after you were made bankrupt taking responsibility for the mortgage. This will include any paperwork transferring the mortgage from joint names to your name or any new deal eg fixed rate they were offering.

It is common for lenders to not accept the keys being handed back if the borrower is not prepared to sign anything and bankrupts are generally advised not to sign anything that could be interpreted as acknowledging the responsibility for the debt. So repossession can take as long as the lender wishes. You can't complain that they were too slow to repossess.

If they repossessed in 2012 then that's what will show on your credit file. The answer would be to take a mortgage without redemption penalties and remortgage to a cheaper rate when you can.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I can not help re the bankruptcy, but I am surprised you have been offered a rate of 6.1%. I would expect there to be better options out there but I suppose it depends on how it all appears on your credit report.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • The_Real_Cheddar_Bob
    Options
    get yourself an independent broker. This might mean paying for their advice. My mortgage is 1.9%. Cost of advisor £2000. The "free" ones didnt even come close.

good luck
  • ChrisHoll
    Options
    rjwr wrote: »
    get yourself an independent broker. This might mean paying for their advice. My mortgage is 1.9%. Cost of advisor £2000. The "free" ones didnt even come close.

good luck

Thanks for the reply - do you mind me asking who your mortgage is through and did you have a previous repossession? Thanks
  • ChrisHoll
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    A popular NRAM product was the together mortgage, that was part mortgage and part unsecured loan. The unsecured loan would have fallen straight into the bankruptcy - other than NRAM retained the right to secure the loan on the property if you defaulted.

Either way the shortfall on the mortgage should have fallen into the bankruptpcy unless you signed anything after you were made bankrupt taking responsibility for the mortgage. This will include any paperwork transferring the mortgage from joint names to your name or any new deal eg fixed rate they were offering.

It is common for lenders to not accept the keys being handed back if the borrower is not prepared to sign anything and bankrupts are generally advised not to sign anything that could be interpreted as acknowledging the responsibility for the debt. So repossession can take as long as the lender wishes. You can't complain that they were too slow to repossess.

If they repossessed in 2012 then that's what will show on your credit file. The answer would be to take a mortgage without redemption penalties and remortgage to a cheaper rate when you can.

Thanks fir the reply. They did want me to sign a Notice of Assidnment (from memory?) but was advised not to by OR. NRAM refused to accept keys back

Slightly confused though whether NRAM should forced to remove by FO or its on until repossession falls off? I understood default date should be date of bankruptcy? Does the property not become owned by OR?

Thanks again
  • GDB2222
    Options
    ChrisHoll wrote: »
    Thanks fir the reply. They did want me to sign a Notice of Assidnment (from memory?) but was advised not to by OR. NRAM refused to accept keys back

Slightly confused though whether NRAM should forced to remove by FO or its on until repossession falls off? I understood default date should be date of bankruptcy? Does the property not become owned by OR?

Thanks again

That's completely logical. Which is why I suggested complaining right up to the Ombudsman until it's sorted out, or they give you an explanation you are satisfied with.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,965 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    ChrisHoll wrote: »

Thanks again

The property is owned by you until the repossession date. From the repossession date it is owned just by the lender.

In the case of a bankrupt, the beneficial interest (usually the equity in the property) is due to the Official Receiver until it has been dealt with, the property still belongs to you.

The official receiver will never own the property, at least not a residential property that is (or was) your home.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure